Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Markus Reis <ma...@researchstudio.at> on 2004/04/07 09:04:30 UTC

setting codebase for rmi in servlet running in tomcat does not work

dear all,

over the last days i have tried to set up an rmi server in a cocoon
servlet running in tomcat (4.1.27, started via maven goal appserver:start);
all i want/need to do starting my rmi server is:
(1) start the rmiregistry (via
LocateRegistry.createRegistry(<regPort>);  //therefore the classpath
should be unset
(2) set the java.rmi.server.codebase property to the specific
webaccessible tomcat folder where my class files reside
(3) create a (remote) object and bind it under a specific servicename to
the registry

(2) seems to work (if i use
System.getProperty("java.rmi.server.codebase") the right value is
displayed), BUT it does NOT
-> when a rmiClient tries to get the remote object a
ClassNotFoundException is thrown (due to not finding the stub class of
the remote object, which results from the obviously wrong codebase
property)

if i run the same code ((1)-(3)) outside the cocoon servlet (running in
tomcat) everything works fine (although i use the same running tomcat
for dynamically downloading the stub files) !

WHAT am i doing wrong ???
does anybody know if properties can not be set if tomcat is running  or
if im running a cocoon servlet (running in tomcat) ???

i would greatly appreciate your help
thanks
markus