Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2012/04/22 10:09:44 UTC

Questions about demo instances [was Re: Summary of some recent discussions around the OFBiz release roadmap and some proposals]

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
> Some questions to the community:
> =======================
> R10.04 is now our stable branch and we have decided to no longer support releases under our current stable. Since we have enough
> resources, some time ago, I had suggested to run in demo not only the trunk and stable but also the previous release (would be at
> the moment R09.04). Christian has done the work for that (thanks Christian!). But now, because of our new policy regarding
> releases,
> I would like to ask the community if we should run 3 (trunk, stable, older) or only 2 demos?

I was at the origin of this demand. Christian handled it with infra (demo.old.ofbiz domain), so it's ready, it's just a matter of
redirection to ask to infra.

We currently have

trunk : demo-trunk
branch R10.04: demo-stable
branch R10.04: demo-old

So we do we currently want

trunk : demo-trunk
branch R10.04: demo-stable
branch R09.04: demo-old

or

trunk : demo-trunk
branch R11.04: demo-stable
branch R10.04: demo-old

or

Or only the trunk and last branch?

etc.

In other words which combination do you prefer?

> We are curently still running R09.04 as our stable demo. I saw that someone has done the work to be able to run R10.04
> (demo-branch10.4-setup.diff, not sure if it has been applied?). Is it not the time to switch to it as our stable?

It should be already done, since we don't support R09.04 anymore. But on the other hand, there are certainly still interested users
out there and supporting or not is not a criterium

> Also, since we now we have some RTL users and our default Theme Tomahawk does not allow them to use their prefered or mother
> tongue
> language. I'd like to ask the community if they would not like to change for Flat-Grey? An alternative would be to keep Tomahawk
> as
> default and put a word about that in footer, but it's less convenient...

Nobody care?

Jacques

Re: Questions about demo instances [was Re: Summary of some recent discussions around the OFBiz release roadmap and some proposals]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Christian,

From: "Christian Geisert" <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.

[..]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>
> This is a reasonable compromise.
>
> My suggestion for the URL regarding the latest stable release:
> http(s)://demo.ofbiz.apache.org
> or:
> http(s)://demo-ofbiz.apache.org

This will not change, it was already difficult to get the names from ASF/infra, sot it will still be trunk, stable and old, with
currently stable=10 and old=9

Christian worked on it this morning and got both stable and old running R10.04 (branch).  They are now running R9.04 (branch). I
guess he crossed an issue, or did not want to have stable running 10 already, Christian?

Running branches allows to run revisions with as less bugs as possible

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I agree.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

I believe it is not good to expose potential end users to something that
can be expected to be broken (meaning trunk) as a demo environment, because
of the high rate of development taking place in that environment.

I also believe that Jacopo said that something is in the rules, regulations
and/or guidelines of the ASF about the same issue.

Therefore:
-1 on having trunk as demo
+1 on having latest stable release as demo

Given the fact that the older release branches are just maintenance
releases and that we recommend that new end users should look at the latest
stable release (currently 10.04.02) it would not make sense to do demos of
older branches.

Regards,

Pierre

Op 22 april 2012 10:09 schreef Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com