Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Donald Smith <Do...@audiencescience.com> on 2014/09/25 18:58:12 UTC

Experience with multihoming cassandra?

We have large boxes with 256G of RAM and SSDs.      From iostat, top, and sar we think the system has excess capacity.  Anyone have recommendations about multihoming<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multihoming> cassandra on such a node (connecting it to multiple IPs and running multiple cassandras simultaneously)?      I'm skeptical, since Cassandra already has built-in multi-threading and since if the node went down multiple nodes would disappear.  We're using C* version 2.0.9.

A google/bing search for  multihoming cassandra doesn't turn much up.

Donald A. Smith | Senior Software Engineer
P: 425.201.3900 x 3866
C: (206) 819-5965
F: (646) 443-2333
donalds@AudienceScience.com<ma...@AudienceScience.com>

[AudienceScience]

Re: Experience with multihoming cassandra?

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.
I'm guessing your talking about multi-homing because you want to have
multiple tenants (different apps/ teams etc) to make better use of
resources ?

As Jared mentioned running multiple Cassandra processes on the same
hardware that participate in the same cluster doesn't make much sense from
a failure domain point of view (it could mess up how C* replicates with
replicas for a key being potentially on the same physical server).

As for splitting up a server for multi-tenancy purposes this then becomes a
question of virtualisation as while there is some multi-tenant support in
C* (auth, throttling per keyspace), it is fairly limited at best.

There a whole range of options out there ranging from xen, vmware etc
through to lightweight virtualisation like linux namespaces with cgroups,
etc.

I think Spotify run C* in production using namespaces with cgroup iirc and
you could using something like docker to help manage this for you.

Docker will also help with managing network addressing etc (the multi homed
aspect). We've also had a lot of success running C* with docker (and
previously SmartOS and solaris zones). Though you will be treading new /
undocumented ground and thus expect to have to solve a few issues along the
way.

--

Ben Bromhead

Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr
<http://twitter.com/instaclustr> | +61 415 936 359

Re: Experience with multihoming cassandra?

Posted by Jared Biel <ja...@bolderthinking.com>.