Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Preeti Bhat <pr...@shoregrp.com> on 2016/09/21 13:11:45 UTC

Solrcloud with rest api

Hi All,

We are trying to access the solrcloud using rest API in .net. But we are not sure how to access the zookeeper setup here. Could someone please guide us

Thanks,
Preeti

Sent from my Windows Phone

NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: This communication may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this communication in error) please notify the sender and it-support@shoregrp.com immediately, and destroy this communication. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this communication is strictly forbidden. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: Solrcloud with rest api

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
This link has more info
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Configure-SolrCloud-for-Loadbalance-for-net-client-td4280074.html

Another suggestion to consider. If you are able to use Java for developing
the search API/service/client then please explore this option since that
will make life easier and you would be able to use SolrJ library to connect
to SolrCloud cluster etc.

We did implement the same way before for a client and then they were able
to call the service from .Net apps though there will be an extra hop.

Thanks,
Susheel

RE: Solrcloud with rest api

Posted by Jon Hawkesworth <jo...@MEDQUIST.onmicrosoft.com>.
My understanding is if you use solrj, it can connect to zookeeper and then zookeeper will tell soljr client which solrcloud node (or possibly nodes) to make requests to.  So it achieves load balancing but it isn't a load balancer in the same sense that something like HAProxy is.

To make search requests and add/update documents, you don't have to talk via zookeeper though.  You can use an ordinary http traffic load balancer to spread out requests across your solrcloud nodes.

SolrCloud uses zookeeper for various things including ensuring all cluster members have the same configuration and to keep state which needs to maintained about the cluster.  My understanding is zookeeper is really 'for' the solrcloud nodes so that they can work together without having to be aware of each other.

If your .net client is just searching and adding/updating documents there isn't really a need for the .net client to talk to zookeeper, provided you can load balance your requests so that you don't have 1 node handling all the traffic from your .net client.  If a request arrives on one node but the data is on another the solrcloud nodes handle this transparently in the background for you.

RE: Solrcloud with rest api

RE: Solrcloud with rest api

Posted by Jon Hawkesworth <jo...@MEDQUIST.onmicrosoft.com>.