Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2022/04/13 11:53:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Experimental Prod ARM64 image for 2.3.0 ?

Hey everyone,

We have a CI image multi-platform image (including ARM64) platform for
a few weeks and - to be perfectly honest - it's heaven and earth
compared to the emulated image.

Except running tests and supporting mssql and mysql - we **could** if
we want to push a multiplatform image when we release as well. It will
take a while to get proper testing in CI but I am inclined to release
the ARM part of the image as "experimental" support in 2.3.0 even
before we do it and give it in the hands of our users.

Honestly I don't expect many problems in Airflow - i expect many more
in numpys/pandas and other low-level scientific libraries, and having
no support for MySQL and MSSQL for those images is a good one as we
will remove some of the error-factors from people experimenting with
it.

That will allow people who work with Mac OS M1s or use newer Raspberry
PIs or simply experiment with migration to ARM based server
infrastructure to test and run "production" Airflow.

There is a bigger "platform war" gearing up - with cloud providers
ramping up their server side ARM support so we might well - in a year
or two - be in the situation that ARM-based servers are becoming very
popular and people will want to run Airflow there.

WDYT?