Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Magnus Grimsell <ma...@idainfront.se> on 2005/06/06 18:42:11 UTC

cactus v2

Hi all,

Is there any ongoing work on Cactus version 2? I just read Vincents architecture proposal, http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/vmassol/archives/000520_cactus_v2_architecture_proposal.html. If I understand it correctly the testcase is running on the client and is responsible for invoking the server service to be tested. Assertions is made on the serverside via testcase aspects.

With this architecture, how do you test services that is not accessible from outside the server? Local session EJB:s or Spring components for example.

RE: cactus v2

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Magnus,

No, the test case (or part of it) is still running on the server side.
Exactly as it's done currently. One main difference is that the interception
point on the server side is currently done by using a Servlet, JSP, Filter,
etc.

In Cactus 2 it's done by an aspect and it's up to the user to define the
interception he/she wants. Of course, we will also be able to add a
usability layer so that pre-defined interception points can be set up for
easy usage.

The other difference is that calling the server is left to the user using
whatever tool he wants (httpunit, htmlunit, etc). Of course, we will add
this facility to the usability layer I mentioned above.

> With this architecture, how do you test services that is not accessible
> from outside the server? Local session EJB:s or Spring components for
> example.

See above.

Really the main difference is flexibility. You'll be able to decide exactly
where your integration starts on the server side (or client side BTW) and
where it ends.

If you're interested we can have a chat or talk on IRC to discuss it in more
details.

Thanks
-Vincent