Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Thomsen, Thomas" <Th...@firepond.com> on 2006/03/02 17:30:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 Windows install

I installed Apache Win32 Binary (MSI Installer):
apache_2.0.55-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi located at
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi.  Why are all of the files in the
modules directory *.so files?  Aren't those for UNIX?  I need to use
mod_jk and was expecting a mod_jk.dll instead.

Thomas

Re: [users@httpd] Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 Windows install

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
.dll, .so, .ocx, .cpl, .scr, .nls.  They are ALL dynamic libraries, the
filename is irrelevant.  It only helps you to distinguish one type of module
from another.  So .so is a perfectly logical associate for apache modules.
Apache can only load an 'apache module' - e.g. a module with an exported
FOO_module data structure in the correct format.  (You can LoadFile any
loadable module, but it won't necessarily do anything unless another module
knows to bind to it.)

HTTP Server project adopted the same naming conventions as much as possible
(even Apache 2.2's binary is named httpd.exe - we couldn't lose the .exe of
course.)  This makes it much easier to follow the examples and documentation.

The HTTP Server project has no say in how the authors in the Tomcat project
(mod_jk.so), the PHP project (php4apache2.dll) and so on choose to name their
modules.

Bill