Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Ingo <in...@gmx.net> on 2019/07/11 04:07:52 UTC

[allura:tickets] Re: #8284 gsoc19-c4: Implement the notification email sender

Hi Dave,

an interesting thought. Why don't we use the subscription mechanism
directly?

A user mentioning a user could autosubscribe him on the artifact. So he
will get all updates on it, too. **But** he will be able to unsubscribe at
any time.

An additional requirement then, would be, that the user may wants to define
in his settings if the auto-subscription should be done or not.

If not, they just want to be notified once about the mentioning.

In conclusion I think people just want to be informed once about the
mentioning. Changes should be handled using subscriptions. And the
auto-subscribe-to-mentions-option, would be an optional feature.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ingo

Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> schrieb am Mi., 10. Juli 2019, 22:31:

> Looks like a good start to this ticket. Here's some thoughts:
>
> In get_usernames_from_md, the usernames variable should be a set instead
> of a list, so if a username is mentioned multiple times, they don't get
> multiple notifications.
>
> Our email templates are markdown (and jinja), so might be nice to name it
> .md like some other templates. And since its markdown, you can make the
> link be within the text, instead of just a URL on its own line. Something
> like at [{{ project_name }} {{ mount_point }} {{ artifact.link_text() }}
> ]({{ h.absurl(artifact.url()) }}) (haven't tested that to see how it
> works or how it looks).
>
> It might be good to change send_usermentions_notification to be a
> background task, since sometimes markdown conversion can take a while if
> the text is huge. Then it could be in
> Allura/allura/tasks/notification_tasks.py which would be nicer than on
> app_globals.py.
>
> We'll want to call send_usermentions_notification( in more places than
> just comments - like tickets created, wiki pages created/edited, etc. Maybe
> add one or two more examples for now, but at some point you'll want to put
> them in many places. (You can search for create_activity( calls, which
> cover a lot of different artifact actions)
>
> Thinking about overall functionality which probably is more related to
> unsubscribe [#8285]
> <https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/8285/>, but somebody
> might get notified about something via regular subscriptions, and then also
> get a notification because of their username mention. Maybe ok, maybe not?
> Also if some text is edited, we probably don't want to notify every time
> its edited. But maybe we do if their username was newly added? That might
> be hard to keep track of. Stuff to think about with regard to that next
> ticket and what data needs to be stored in new fields or new models.
> ------------------------------
>
> * [tickets:#8284] <https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/8284/>
> gsoc19-c4: Implement the notification email sender*
>
> *Status:* in-progress
> *Milestone:* unreleased
> *Labels:* gsoc19
> *Created:* Wed May 08, 2019 03:03 PM UTC by Shalitha Suranga
> *Last Updated:* Tue Jul 09, 2019 04:20 PM UTC
> *Owner:* Shalitha Suranga
>
> *Todo*
>
> This function is responsible for detecting user mentions and sending email
> notifications. For the detection markdown extenstion can be reused. For
> sending emails existing interfaces can be used; or any other better
> mechanism will be discussed before the implementation.
>
> *What is expected*
>
> When a user is mentioned (and the markdown is saved) the relevant user
> will be notified with an email

---

** [tickets:#8284] gsoc19-c4: Implement the notification email sender**

**Status:** in-progress
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Labels:** gsoc19
**Created:** Wed May 08, 2019 03:03 PM UTC by Shalitha Suranga
**Last Updated:** Wed Jul 10, 2019 08:31 PM UTC

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/