Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org> on 2006/07/14 14:26:53 UTC

running mode default

Re: running mode default

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> I meant                shouldn't            here
>
>>> Yes.
>
> I hope you guessed that.
Actually, no :) Today I think we should just predefine three different
running modes: "dev", "prod" and "test" and
the user can choose one of the three. If there is the need for more
flexibility we can add this later on.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: running mode default

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: running mode default

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: running mode default

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: running mode default

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: running mode default

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
Thx to all you guys for the explanation.
—ml—

Re: running mode default

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: running mode default

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: running mode default

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:

> What is "running mode"?

Here is one explanation, there were others.

Re: [2.2] Configuration
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=114839661307496

A search for "running mode" on our Daisy found:

Configuration
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g1/1162.html

Thanks Carsten.

-David

Re: running mode default

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
What is "running mode"?
—ml—

Re: running mode default

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>> What was the reason to set the default running mode to 'dev'? I can
>> imagine there might be lots of users not able to set system properties
>> on their (production) machines when they release Cocoon 2.2 projects.
>>
> Isn't this value part of the Settings? IIRC these can also be set via a
> property file so they don't have to be system properties.  That doesn't
> mean the default shouldn't be changed though.

No, the running mode is not handled like the other settings. It is
read/detected before everything else, so currently the one chance you
have is to change the running mode using a system property.
We could move this detecting to a later phase if we think that this
makes sense.

I think making "prod" the default is the better choice. I think to
remember that we decided some time ago to use production ready settings
as defaults.

Re: running mode default

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.