Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrew Thompson <su...@aktzero.com> on 2005/03/06 03:49:11 UTC

what to do about a database?

Greetings,

I am trying to move all my documents into various repositories. On my
website, which I am now attempting to maintain with svn, I use a couple
of mysql databases to store pages.

Does anyone have recommendations for keeping up with a database?

I had the thought of using a script that would download individual
records from a database into text files. I figured I could work out a
php updater script to look for new "records" in a folder and add them to
the online database after a rsync.

Does that idea interest anyone?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

Re: what to do about a database?

Posted by Andrew Thompson <su...@aktzero.com>.
Richard Rodger wrote:

> I would dump the database to CSV files - MYSQL can do this quite easily.
> Then you can version the CSV files, which are just text.

Could you point me towards how you're able to get CSV out of mysql? I
did a few mysqldump's this morning, but they were all formatted for
direct rebuild of the database.

> When you want to rebuild, just create an empty database and read it all
> in. PHP has a pretty good module for parsing CSV files, I believe.

I'll have to look into that. My web-able programming is currently
limited to php.

> Might not work so well for very large tables, and might conflict with
> automatically incremented primary keys, so ymmv.

The table I've got in place now has an auto increment key field, but I
don't really need it, so that should be solvable.

Posted by Richard Rodger <ri...@ricebridge.com>.
I would dump the database to CSV files - MYSQL can do this quite easily.
Then you can version the CSV files, which are just text.

When you want to rebuild, just create an empty database and read it all
in. PHP has a pretty good module for parsing CSV files, I believe.

Might not work so well for very large tables, and might conflict with
automatically incremented primary keys, so ymmv.

richard

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to move all my documents into various repositories. On my
> website, which I am now attempting to maintain with svn, I use a couple
> of mysql databases to store pages.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations for keeping up with a database?
>
> I had the thought of using a script that would download individual
> records from a database into text files. I figured I could work out a
> php updater script to look for new "records" in a folder and add them to
> the online database after a rsync.
>
> Does that idea interest anyone?

--

Richard Rodger