Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Chris Johnson <jo...@isn.dac.neu.edu> on 1998/05/21 21:05:13 UTC

general/2263: Difference in function, BASE tag vis. Netscape & Apache, virutal hosts

>Number:         2263
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Difference in function, BASE tag vis. Netscape & Apache, virutal hosts
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Trying to move fron Netscape to Apache.  Need to duplicate all functionality
first.  Virtual hosting using the BASE tag doesn't seem to behave the same.
Clicking on a link in a page which has the BASE tag in it where the link is a
relative link, works nicely on Netscape but Apache seems to duplicate the
right hand end of the BASE tagged default URL.  As a result the off page URL's
fail.
>How-To-Repeat:
Yup.  Create a page with the BASE tag in the header where the BASE HREF points
to a non-root directory.  Virtuas host to the directory containing that page.
Then click on a relative link in that page which leads off page.  The URL it
trys to get will be relative to the real root not the virtual host root.  If
the virtual host root is off the real root, it seems that the real root is
used apparently duplicating the right hand end of the BASE HREF pointer.
>Fix:
First, figure out who's behaviour is broken.  I'm not sure at this point.
I don't think a suggested fix will work until we know who if anyone is doing
the wrong thing.  Thank you.