Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/19 16:48:29 UTC

source license comments in incubator-cordova-js js files

The source files in incubator-cordova-js generally do not contain Apache
source license comments, for good reason.  Since we bundle these files
together into a single 'wad' js file (pkg/cordova-<platform>.js), we don't
all those source headers for all the individual bits in 'wad'.

OTOH, I suspect that we will run afoul of Apache's desire to have source
license comments in all our source files.  Maybe what we're doing is fine.

But see Luis Villa's blog post [1], which references a fairly recent Apache
issue in Legal Discuss [2].  In addition, if we eventually see moving our
existing plugins (like accelerometer) to a form where they're separately
installable/removable, then it seems like there's more motivation to
putting the source license comments in there.

I think there's an easy answer here.  Include the source header, so we
don't have any question about NOT having them, and then have the build
script remove them.  The build would strip the first comment in the file,
assuming it's only preceded by whitespace: replace(^\s*\/\*.*?\*\///).  And
then the rule is: "the first thing in your file after any whitespace must
be an Apache source license comment".

[1]
http://tieguy.org/blog/2012/03/17/on-the-importance-of-per-file-license-information/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-124

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: source license comments in incubator-cordova-js js files

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Blargh, lots of text. Man licenses are annoying ;/

Toss this into issue 280 as part of the re-org of cordova-js?

Also: a minifier would fix this. Build process for cordova-js could toss
the vanilla apache license into the top of the built file, while the
minifier strips all comments incl. license from each plugin file at build
time?