Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2013/12/06 20:26:16 UTC

[compress] ZIP unshrinking support

Hi

I just committed a patch for decompressing ZIP entries using method 1
("unshrinking"), but it's only for ZipFile.

If someone wants to help patch ZipInputStream, please feel free. It
may be worth refactoring decompression in that class, because it will
just keep getting worse as more compression methods are added.

Thank you
Damjan

Re: [compress] ZIP unshrinking support

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
In the same vein it looks like the method 12 (bzip2) should be easy to
implement.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-12-06, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> I just committed a patch for decompressing ZIP entries using method 1
> ("unshrinking"), but it's only for ZipFile.

Cool.  Do you know how to create such an archive so we can have a real
testcase?  InfoZip zip on my Linux box only supports methods stored,
deflate and bzip2.

> If someone wants to help patch ZipInputStream, please feel free.  It
> may be worth refactoring decompression in that class, because it will
> just keep getting worse as more compression methods are added.

Yes, looks ugly, same for incorporating Bear's "traditional encryption".
This is one reason for COMPRESS-93, the other is to allow third parties
to hook in their implementations of encumbered methods (strong crypto,
DEFLATE64 or whatnot).

It's about time to seriously start thinking about a proper API for this
and fork off a deliberately incompatible Compress 2.x - I'll start by
cleaning up the Wiki space for compress and write down pointers to ideas
that have been floating around for a long time now, but I know I won't
be able to drive this much further than that for the next three weeks.

Stefan