Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by toomanyedwards <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/05 00:32:38 UTC

Where do features get installed?

Hi all,
  I'm somewhat new to karaf and would like to know when I install a feature
from a remote maven repo via the  "features:install" command where do binary
files (jars, etc.) for the feature get installed locally in my karaf
instance?  Thanks in advance!

-edward

Re: Where do features get installed?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Edward,

the bundles installed by the features are in the data cache folder after
installation (it's the OSGi framework working directory).
That's why if the feature is not a boot feature and you remove the data
folder, you have to reinstall the features.
With Karaf 3.x, we use Aether (the "native" Maven library). In that
case, the bundles can be copied into the M2 local repository (as Maven
does when you build).

Regards
JB

On 08/05/2014 12:32 AM, toomanyedwards wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I'm somewhat new to karaf and would like to know when I install a feature
> from a remote maven repo via the  "features:install" command where do binary
> files (jars, etc.) for the feature get installed locally in my karaf
> instance?  Thanks in advance!
>
> -edward

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Where do features get installed?

Posted by toomanyedwards <to...@gmail.com>.
So the "bundlefile" in the data cache is effectively a .zip that gets added
to the classpath for the feature's class loader?  I noticed that there
data/cache/org.eclipse.osgi/.lazy.* files.  What are these?

Re: Where do features get installed?

Posted by Kevin Carr <ks...@gmail.com>.
All bundles get installed to the data/cache folder.

Features are collections of bundles.