Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> on 2003/11/22 14:12:30 UTC

move from fulcrum to turbine-components [was: Torque 3.1 Status?]

we talked about using the (existing but unused) turbine-component
repository for the new avalon components instead of fulcrum .. and also
change the package name ... but it was just an idea .. we should discuss
it on the turbine-dev list (so i'll send a copy)

martin

RE: move from fulcrum to turbine-components [was: Torque 3.1 Status?]

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
There is a Turbine Components repository!!??  LOL, the things you learn..
And here I have been sticking stuff in the \extensions directory because I
didn't want them tightly coupled to turbine, but still part of turbine!

I think using a turbine-component repository makes sense if the criteria to
have access are different/lower from the criteria for accessing
jakarta-turbine-2.  Otherwise, to me, it just seems like yet another project
and cvs to deal with.  However, I am not real gungho one way or the other.

As far as the fulcrum repo, I wouldn't be too keen on moving the existing
components over to turbine-component after all the effort to rework them
etc.  However, I do think that if a component is turbine specific then it
should NOT be in fulcrum.  I think components in fulcrum should be
relatively selfcontainer and reusable in multiple environments, not just
Turbine.  If you have a component that is turbine specific, then it should
go in the aforementioned turbine-components repo or the /extensions repo.

However, that doesn't mean that a code that ties into Turbine automatically
can't go into Fulcrum.  For instance, the fulcrum-security code has adapters
for OSUSer as well as Turbine Users.  I think that could maybe all stay
together.  I guess it mostly depends on what keeps the build the easiest and
has the best setup of commit priviliges for the developers involved.

Eric