Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Andreas Bothner [ MTN - Innovation Centre ]" <Bo...@mtn.co.za> on 2004/10/15 13:03:49 UTC

winning the case for ANT

Hi all,

I am working in a team of developers, where one developer is completely
against the use of ANT as a build script as he feels that xml should not be
used as a scripting tool.  I would like to create an environment which does
automated nightly builds, deployments and execution of tests with reports.
This team members negativity is hampering commitment towards this goal.

I was hoping there would be somebody who could direct me to a resource(s)
that will strengthen my case for the use of ANT, as I see it as the perfect
tool to achieve this goal and am under the impression that it is the
industry standard for non-proprietary java build tools.

Regards,

Andreas

RE: winning the case for ANT

Posted by Robert Barrett <rb...@evolverinc.com>.
As a development engineer for some 24 years now, I have used many
different build tools. "make" serves me very well as does "ant".
As someone stated earlier in this thread, there are MANY ways to build
software and automated "build and deploy" have been around for 20+ years.
None of these concepts are new however, tools change and evolve (hopefully
for the better) There are pro's and con's to every tool set.
I think the issue with this individual may be a lack of understanding of
the tool. What needs to be done is to bring this individual into the fold
and make them a productive contributor to the project (that said, this is
not always possible).
To do this, it may take some "good old" mentoring. Are there other
developers that this individual respects? Perhaps some of these folks
could take time out to work with him. Understand that developers are
often under pressure to deliver quickly and he may feel that learning
a new tool will take more time and effort than he is comfortable with.
There is something to be said for the adage:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
However, "you can teach an old dog new tricks" :)

Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Bob Barrett

Posted by "Alexey N. Solofnenko" <A....@mdl.com>.