Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/09/22 16:17:26 UTC

[all][discuss] redundant assembly descriptors

Hi all guys,
al the components I have been touching (digester, discovery, chain,
functor, dbutils, pool2, graph, meiyo) have exactly the same assembly
descriptors and assembly plugin configuration.

I honestly think that we could do a little step of improvement and
remove that redundancy.

My proposal is using the 'sharing assembly descriptors'[1] technique,
creating a new component containing the -bin and -src descriptors,
then configuring the assembly plugin in the parent in the way it
reuses the shared descriptors.
Components that need a different configuration, they just override the
assembly plugin configuration to get custom assembly descriptors as
input.

I feel comfortable with that approach having experienced it in
MyBatis[2] (formerly Apache iBATIS)

WDYT?
It would help us on saving both (even if trivial) space and time
(configured once, reused everywhere).

Please just let me know, I can take care of it!
All the best, have a nice day,
Simo

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/sharing-descriptors.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/source/browse/#svn%2Fsub-projects%2Fbase-bundle-descriptor%2Ftrunk

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [all][discuss] redundant assembly descriptors

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
ok for me is enough to stop the discussion here, no needs to continue

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Seb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22 September 2011 18:18, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2011 16:02, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Seb,
>>

>>> The parent POM currently only applies the assembly plugin when using
>>> the rc or release profiles.
>>> I assume this would not change?
>>>
>>> In which case, it cannot cause additional for components that don't
>>> use the profiles, and any components that don't have assembly
>>> descriptors presumably already have problems when using either
>>> profile.
>>>

>> That would not change indeed, the only modification applied to
>> assembly-plugin to parent would be the default configuration.
>> Do you see potential issues on it?
>
> No, but I don't know Maven that well.
>
> It occurs to me - do we actually need a jar to hold the shared contents?
> Isn't it enough to update the parent with the settings iniline?

Scrap that - we could add the descriptor references to CP, but the
descriptor files would need to go in the jar.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Seb,

> The parent POM currently only applies the assembly plugin when using
> the rc or release profiles.
> I assume this would not change?
>
> In which case, it cannot cause additional for components that don't
> use the profiles, and any components that don't have assembly
> descriptors presumably already have problems when using either
> profile.

That would not change indeed, the only modification applied to
assembly-plugin to parent would be the default configuration.
Do you see potential issues on it?
TIA!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.