Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/18 23:56:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] What to do with the partial HDFS related code on develop?

When geode was donated to apache, there was a partially completed
integration with HDFS built in. See GEODE-10.

Since that initial donation, we have removed the APIs related to creating
HDFS regions because they were not yet stable. See GEODE-429.

The problem is that we still have HDFS related code sprinkled throughout
geode-core. This causes us to pull in a bunch of compile dependencies on
hbase and hadoop.

I already created an issue, GEODE-1072, to move the HDFS code it it's own
subproject, but that will take a lot of work.

In the mean time, I propose we go ahead and create a separate branch for
the HDFS related changes and remove the HDFS related code from develop. The
work to refactor the HDFS integration to be a subproject can take place on
that branch and geode-core on develop will be cleaner in the mean time.

What do you folks think?

-Dan

Re: [DISCUSS] What to do with the partial HDFS related code on develop?

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.
This is a topic we didn't cover at Geode Summit.  We could bring it up at a
Geode Clubhouse if anyone is interested.

--
Greg Chase

Global Head, Big Data Communities
http://www.pivotal.io/big-data

Pivotal Software
http://www.pivotal.io/

650-215-0477
@GregChase
Blog: http://geekmarketing.biz/

Re: [DISCUSS] What to do with the partial HDFS related code on develop?

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by ma...@daimler.com.

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.
+1