Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/03/17 15:46:33 UTC

[bug] Problems with AdaptiveClassLoader

People,

while the AdaptiveClassLoader is probably one of the most useful things
in Apache JServ, it has some problems with archived repositories. I
didn't notice this before because usually didn't use archived servlets,
but with Cocoon this changed the picture a lot.

So here is what I have to report:

1) the classes are _not_ reloaded when the servlet archive is changed. I
thought this was a design limitation but it's not... I could not find a
place where this should be fixed, in fact I even don't understand why it
doesn't work since the basics are already there.

2) resources are _not_ seen when they are included in archived
repositories. The simple example

 URL res = this.getClass().getResource("res/try.res");

returns null if the "res/try.res" file is found in a jar file, while
returns the right file:// uri if the file is present in a normal
directory or system classpath.

I didn't test with Tomcat, but I suspect that this bugs both projects
since the code was borrowed directly.

(note: I'm not subscribed to tomcat-dev)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.