Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Phong Nguyen <pn...@gilt.com> on 2013/02/01 04:20:01 UTC

Re: Adding LXC support to Cloudstack

Hi Chiradeep,

I've checked in initial code that is able to spin up an LXC container from
the Cloudstack UI. I could definitely use some review on this and if I'm
doing anything majorly wrong, it would be good to know sooner ;)

In development, I used your recommendation and ran the
NfsSecondaryStorageResource on my laptop to test and debug code for
downloading templates. Worked great and easier than trying to keep dual KVM
+ LXC in development.

My full test setup right now involves a management server + KVM + LXC. I'm
using the KVM host to run the System VMs. After the SSVM spins up, I log in
and swap out the cloud jars to run my dev code. I'm also using the KVM
router VM for dhcp and dns.

How should we handle the System VMs? Does it make sense to create a System
VM for LXC?

I have updated the wiki page with more details:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/LXC+Support+in+Cloudstack

Thanks,
Phong

Posted by Phong Nguyen <pn...@gilt.com>.
Hi Edison,

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com> wrote:

> SSVM is unnecessary for LXC, AFAICT. The template can be directly
> downloaded to primary storage through LXC host. ****
>
> Here is what will happen in the new storage framework:****
>
> Register template: if there is no nfs secondary storage specified, mgt
> server just put template url into vm_template db.****
>
> Primarystoragedownload: mgt server will send down template url to LXC
> host, agent will download template into primary storage.

The new storage framework sounds like a nice optimization.

System vm is one thing(we get rid of it), but how about router VM? Router
> VM is used not only for DNS/DHCP, but also for egress/ingress control, load
> balancer etc. Do you know, inside LXC container, can you set iptables
> rules? If it’s not, then we need a way to workaround router VM.

I just tested out a couple simple iptable rules from inside an lxc
container. Seems to work fine for me.

> ****
>
> I am thinking about, always using KVM to start system VM, so that you
> don’t need to build LXC system VM template. I assume, both LXC and KVM can
> co-exist on the same host(they should, but never try it by myself). If it’s
> true, you can reuse KVM system vm templates for LXC.

Interesting, this kind of changes the model to supporting multiple
hypervisors at the host level. Let's chat more offline about this on
Tuesday.

Thanks,
-Phong

****

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Looks like good progress. Although it looks like KVM and LXC share a lot,
I wouldn't modify the kvm plugin, but rather extract out some common bits
into a LibvirtAgentBase or something like that. And then create a new LXC
plugin based off of that.

+Edison, Wido, Marcus, Kelven, Donal for more suggestions

As far as system vms go, I think you've got some good ideas there.