Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com> on 2012/04/17 19:30:36 UTC

bay area folks and flash

anyone in the bay area attend the future of flash event last night at adobe?
wondering what was said.

Ariel Jakobovits
Email: arieljake@yahoo.com
Phone: 650-690-2213
Fax: 650-641-0031
Cell: 650-823-8699

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
Unity and Epic (and others) already have great tool chains for creating 3D gaming content that targets the Flash Player. I dont see why there is a need for Adobe to try to fill that niche when there are already great solutions in the market.

Instead, we are introducing a model where those third party tool chains drive revenue that goes directly back into Flash Player development (where as before they would potentially take resources away from the player).

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Sanford Redlich <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Jitendra Jain <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi

The following are some points by Adobe towards Future of Flex. They believe
that HTML5 will become an important technology. But it takes years and also
we are not sure whether HTML5 will accepted to fit enterprise applications.
As its a future thing, companies cannot afford to lose the present market.
They are still accepting Flex as a technology to suit the business
requirements.

some of the specific advantages of Flex for enterprise application
development include:

   - Flex offers complete feature-level consistency across multiple
   platforms, browsers, and devices.
   - The Flex component set and programming model makes it extremely
   productive when building complex user interfaces.
   - ActionScript 3 is a mature object-oriented programming language,
   suitable for large application development.
   - Supporting tools offer a productive development environment with
   respect to code editing, debugging, profiling, and testing.

   Once Apache Flex's first release will be out, flex community will be
more confident. So we are waiting for the Apache Flex to announce the first
release.

--
Thanks and Regards,
JJain,

   If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it --Margaret
Fuller:

Re: bay area folks and flash

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com>.
The truth is, it amazes me what exists in the ecosystem of software development on the client today. Adobe is giving up on flash for ria, windows works on only windows, apple only on apple, html and CSS suck across browsers and in terms of features...the only area with stability is the server side where you can work with anything you want and not care about portability.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by איליה גזמן <ga...@gmail.com>.

--
Flex/Flash/Android/C# dev

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
Again, please don't mischaracterize what I said.

--
> 'If you want to continue to earn a living, you MUST get your
> head out of the sand and learn about HTML5.'"
--

We said it is in your interest to be aware of the capabilities of HTML5 because your clients are probably going to ask about it.

--
--

We didnt say you HAD to use HTML5. We said increasingly this stuff would be done in HTML5. Regardless of the technical merits of the technology, this is the reality.

We also said if you wanted to continue to use Flash doing what you do today, you could.

--
> When you say "we're not going to talk about Flex anymore", "HTML5 is a
> better long term choice than Flash",
--

Sigh... again, we didnt say HTML5 was a better long term choice then Flash. Again, we did say that the reality was that a lot of the stuff that has traditionally only been possible via Flash, is going to be increasingly possible in the browser HTML5, and that increasingly it will be done via those technologies.

We didn't say you HAVE to use HTML5, and we didn't say HTML5 better. If you want to ignore HTML5 and pretend that its going to be a complete failure and not be widely use, that is your choice.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.xom

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.
Despite the impact past events and decisions have had on companies and
developers using the Flash Platform (mostly Flex), I respect Adobe's
pursuit of a new business model, and one I believe will be more successful
than tooling and an ecosystem targeted towards the Large Enterprise with a
bent on  Transactional software. Sencha seems to be doing well with a
business model that includes licensing different parts of their ecosystem,
and I personally believe Adobe is headed in the right direction. I wish
them the best in that endeavor.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Robert Smith <ro...@thedevprocess.com>.
While this thread doesn't really help move the cause of flex forward, I
think it's helpful to have these kinds of discussions. I'm sure there is
a more appropriate place to have them. Like others here, I feel like I'm
stuck between a rock and a hard place. The capabilities of HTML5 aren't
there yet, but I'm seeing flex work evaporate due to uncertainty. And I
really don't want to develop in HTML5 (head in sand...la la la la).

After reading all of the replies and seeing Mike Chambers attempt damage
control (and a noble attempt it was), we're still where we started.
Nothing is fixed. I don't think the vocal majority of the flex community
and Adobe's leadership will ever see eye to eye.

We've needed some kind of 3rd option for a while. If we (and by we, I
mean the people doing the real work) can be successful here, we'll have
that option. Jonathan is spot on.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
I dont think that anyone was arguing that it was.

mike chambers

On Apr 17, 2012, at 2:11 PM, imagenesis@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Javascript is not a better platform for applications or games.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Konstantin Elstner <fl...@dashart.de>.
Hi,

at first, I think the way to send flash runtime evangelists to a world wide tour is a good step.
But the negative point is, that you are only showing demos, we all have already seen.
The informations you have provided are all facts, which we already can read in the whitepapers.

But we need clear future informations.
A speech like we are focusing on this, and when we will optimize this is nice, is okay.
But not really more I think.

Since the PR disaster around the stop of development of Flash Player mobile,
everybody in the management of our client companies is thinking flash and AIR is a sinking ship.

To have the possibility to argue against this we need more exact informations.

There are 2 points, which are very important for us:
1. Please update monthly the adobe site about the flash player penetration,
this is one of the primary fact for every decision maker.
2. Adobe is telling since around 2 months, that there are discussions with Microsoft,
about AIR support in Windows 8 RT, whats the progress?

Since the start of this your I heard from our clients the question about flash player penetration more often when ever ago,
when I answer, there are no new informations about this from Adobe, the most clients are thinking for there self:
Okay flash is dead and Adobe is afraid of publishing the actual stats.

Like: You can not not communicate.

Additional tablet pcs are the future, there is a big push from the html5-based native apps like sencha and phonegap.
If a client today thinks about starting a new project, he want to use a technic with a feature and the future is cross device.

So the future of AIR, I think, is coupled with support of Windows 8 RT.

Without a wide range of supported devices / OS's I see no really future for AIR, Flash and so also Flex.

The information are requested in blogs, at the forums and at the Flash Runtime events,
but there was never any answer from Adobe.

So it seems for us and our clients, like Adobe will, that we struggle through the fog.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by "imagenesis@gmail.com" <im...@gmail.com>.
Objectively better from a development standpoint. *

Consumers*

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Brent Arnold <br...@brentarnold.com>.
Until you try to play that game in a mobile browser. AIR FTW!

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by "imagenesis@gmail.com" <im...@gmail.com>.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
Yep. Agreed.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Tink <fl...@tink.ws>.
On 17 Apr 2012, at 20:37, Mike Chambers wrote:

> I also said that winning back trust and credibility was a long term process, one that basically involved us being clear and open about our plans, and then doing those plans. Basically, we have to tell you what we plan to do, and then do it. Even then some people are still not going to put their faith in us. We get it, we have to just move forward and try to be open about what we are doing.

Hey Mike

You stated this at the event in London, then Lee went on to demo new gaming features which began to get a few devs back on side and interested in getting their hands on these features, then a couple of weeks later, Adobe announce the speed tax for these features.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
I understand that there is still frustration around all of this, but mischaracterizing what we said doesn't help anyone.

In regards to HTML5, we said that Flash is really good at a lot of things (animations, apps, video, casual games, branding experiences, art) and that you could continue to use Flash for this type of content. But, increasingly over the next couple of years, more and more of this type of stuff is going to be done directly in the browser.  It is in your interest to at least have a basic understand of the capabilities of HTML5, because your clients ARE going to ask you about. Whether you actually learn and use it is up to you and your individual projects, but it is in your interest to at least understand the capabilities.

Re: bay area folks and flash

Posted by Tony Constantinides <co...@gmail.com>.