Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2015/11/04 20:13:54 UTC

Graduation concerns

To echo Caleb's post to the HAWQ ML:

In case you haven't been watching the Apache general list there is an
interesting thread on the Apache Sentry project and their graduation from
incubator.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201511.mbox/browser

Lots of discussion on what is required from a community growth perspective
for an incubator.  Good lessons to think about as we are trying to build
our own community around Geode and MADlib.

You will also see me heavily advocating Apache Maturity model on
that thread. This is something I'd really like to institute in all of
the projects
I happen to mentor to a point of having a rolling document inside of a source
tree a'la Groovy:
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/MATURITY.adoc

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> To echo Caleb's post to the HAWQ ML:
>>
>> In case you haven't been watching the Apache general list there is an
>> interesting thread on the Apache Sentry project and their graduation from
>> incubator.
>>

>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201511.mbox/browser
>>
>> Lots of discussion on what is required from a community growth perspective
>> for an incubator.  Good lessons to think about as we are trying to build
>> our own community around Geode and MADlib.
>>

> The two biggest challenges IMO facing Geode:
>  1. Transitioning from an internal closed development model to a public
> open one
>  2. Bringing in new project members from outside Pivotal to create a
> diverse, vibrant community
>
> The success or failure of the first impacts the second. The measure of the
> first is how much discussion and decision making regarding Geode is taking
> place within Pivotal compared to whats here on the mailing list or JIRA.
> When the answer is pretty much everything is in the public domain, then
> you'll have it cracked.

Couldn't agree more! As an insider, I must say that I'm very pleased with
how much progress the internal Pivotal team has made since April in
terms of trying to push discussions and decision making into the open.
But that, of course, is a view of somebody who have seen the internal
process transform. On the outside there's still tons for us to improve.

One particular area where I think we need to focus on is bootstrapping
a robust user community of Apache Geode. This is one of the most
effective way to keep the project honest about how transparent and fair
its governance model is. Right now we don't really have anything for
the user community to rally around and that's why one of my top priorities
is to get first release of Geode (alpha) out.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> To echo Caleb's post to the HAWQ ML:
>
> In case you haven't been watching the Apache general list there is an
> interesting thread on the Apache Sentry project and their graduation from
> incubator.
>

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201511.mbox/browser
>
> Lots of discussion on what is required from a community growth perspective
> for an incubator.  Good lessons to think about as we are trying to build
> our own community around Geode and MADlib.

The two biggest challenges IMO facing Geode:
 1. Transitioning from an internal closed development model to a public
open one
 2. Bringing in new project members from outside Pivotal to create a
diverse, vibrant community

The success or failure of the first impacts the second. The measure of the
first is how much discussion and decision making regarding Geode is taking
place within Pivotal compared to whats here on the mailing list or JIRA.
When the answer is pretty much everything is in the public domain, then
you'll have it cracked.

Niall

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks Ted, Niall, Caleb and Roman for helping on this thread...

Sharing a bit of Geode, we do have a Maturity Level wiki page [1] since
June, which reflects the current status of the project as well as a
Community Development [2] page also frequently updated with all
developments and efforts, publicly tracked.

With the clubhouse meetings (online video conferences) and mailing list
discussions, there are at least 3-4 different companies participating in
the community, maybe not all of them contributing code, but that's also
growing...   All of these video conferences are being recorded and
published on the project YouTube channel [3]

The really missing part, which is also reflected in the current project
maturity are releases, which we truly hope to get done ASAP.

Other than that, commenting a bit on what Niall wisely said, we have pretty
much stopped used internal lists to discuss our development process and
issues and a reflect of that is the number of JIRA's currently being worked
(open/closed) and discussed on dev@geode.  Hopefully with a release and
more people then using the project artifacts, more users and community will
come and make it even more vibrant.

~/William

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Maturity+Level
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Community+development
[3] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaY2q0UlWjAgEGL7uhCLs6A

--

William Markito Oliveira
-- For questions about Apache Geode, please write to

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by Caleb Welton <cw...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks Ted.

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by Caleb Welton <cw...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks Ted.

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Also note that projects that evolve out of commercial projects often have a

Re: Graduation concerns

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.