Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2008/02/09 09:56:38 UTC

[AsyncWeb] Need an async client now

What should I use?  I prefer the API from Geronimo but I see that it
doesn't get built in in Mina.  I would also prefer to use Mina 1.x and
wait until Mina 2.x shakes itself out.

So, I'm going to toss out the idea of releasing the new API as 1.0 and
we can release the new Mina 2.x based API as 2.0.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Alan

Re: [AsyncWeb] Need an async client now

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
<snip>
> IMO I think looking ahead towards the use of MINA 2.0 is the best route here
> and it seems that people have already taken care of the merge.  Perhaps
> there's some emails that you may have missed on the commits@ list and here.
> Mike already merged the two I think unless I'm mistaken which may be the
> case since I have been catching up as well.

I'm still working on the merge.  It's a lot of work.  There are a lot of
very big differences between the AHC codec and the AsyncWeb codec.  The
AsyncWeb codec is designed to be independent of the client/server that
uses it while the AHC codec is tightly coupled to the AHC client.
Refactoring AHC to use the AsyncWeb codec has been challenging.

It will be a while before the merge is complete.

> Oh and 1.0 whichever MINA it's based on makes sense to me but jumping
> to 2.0to denote the use of MINA
> 2.0 sounds good too.  I just think we should stick to MINA 2.0 through and
> through because of the gains made therein.

I'm of the opinion that we should use MINA 2.0.  I think AsyncWeb will
draw a lot of attention to MINA which will help us work out any kinks in
MINA 2.0.  MINA 2.0 also has a lot of new features that can be utilized
to minimize the number of threads needed for MINA apps.

-Mike

Re: [AsyncWeb] Need an async client now

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I agree...I think 2.0 is the way to go...the enhancements really make it
nicer.

Jeff

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 11, 2008 8:20 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:20 AM, Maarten Bosteels wrote:
>
> > On Feb 11, 2008 7:37 AM, Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The new logging features in SLF4J and removing IoSessionLogger were
> >> what
> >> was holding up an M1 release.  Where do we stand on the logging front
> >> right now?
> >

> > see my comments on http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-513
> >
> > "IoSessionLogger has been removed, but I could not yet add MDC-aware
> > Formatter implementations because the new SLF4J hasn't been
> > released. "
> >
> > Meanwhile Ceki has published an SLF4J-API-1.5.0-M0 in maven.
> > I will commit the formatter asap (hopefully tonight CET) and close
> > this
> > issue.
>
> Just curious.  What are these logging features that are so important?

Hello Alan,

see
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A--MINA--2.0-Milestone-1---p15092056s16868.html

DIRMINA-513 wasn't that important IMO.
But about two weeks ago it was the only unresolved issue for 2.0.0-M1, so we
decided to fix it before cutting the first milestone.
And it's fixed now.

regards,
Maarten

Re: [AsyncWeb] Need an async client now

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Until 2.0 GA we should leave the trunk as is.  When we go to GA after some
number of milestones then we can create the 2.0 branch which will only
include bug fixes.  Right now the bleeding edge is the trunk.  This is where
all new features and API changes occur.

I think we can do milestone releases while there are JIRA issues associated
with new features and API changes.  Then we can announce a feature/API
freeze.  We can release some GA candidates that stabilize the trunk in
preparation for the GA release: not that we're not stable but this option
exists.

Then when we all have agreed that a GA should be cut we can branch, tag and
release.  The trunk becomes 2.1 or whatever we like to call it.  Only bug
fixes occur on the 2.0 branch.  New features and API changes go into 2.1 in
the trunk.

Does this sound reasonable?

BTW we should have cut a M1 or M0 (the first milestone release) from the
trunk a while back.  I had asked when this would happen.  There is no limit
to the number of milestone releases we can have.  So let's pump one out.  If
something pops up that presents some urgency we can release again.  Let's
follow the release early, release often mantra.

Alex

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "이희승 (Trustin Lee)" <tr...@gmail.com>.
2008-02-10 (일), 00:56 +0100, Maarten Bosteels 쓰시길:
> > Sticking to MINA 2.0 overall will be in the best interest of the community
>
> I couldn't agree more. I really see no reason to stick with 1.x
> In fact, I think we should 'release' MINA-2.0-M1 asap.

Yeah, go MINA! :)

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: [AsyncWeb] Need an async client now

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Alan,

Great to see you here btw.  When Alan is interested in a project that only
means it's going places :).