Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Adam Szita <sz...@cloudera.com> on 2017/11/06 15:43:08 UTC

Integrating Yetus with Precommit job

Hi all,

As a next step of test subsystem improvements we would like to have the
Yetus check integrated with the ptest framework. This means that whenever a
new patch is uploaded - along with the already existing Precommit test run
- Hive's Yetus patch check script would be triggered also. This script runs
checkstyle, findbugs, ASF license check, etc with and without the submitted
patch applied and reports the diffs (i.e. how many checkstyle problems does
the patch introduce).

It would be executed parallel to the ptest test execution and report back
the results as a (another) jira comment to the issue in question.
In the last days I've been working on this (HIVE-16748) and a patch is
ready to make this happen. A sample Yetus result comment is available at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-16748?focusedCommentId=16218616&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16218616

We think this would be a useful tool for us developers and would like to go
ahead with this change, but we're also curious about your input in this
matter. Please let us know what you think about this change.

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Integrating Yetus with Precommit job

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xu...@uber.com>.
+1 on the ideas.

Posted by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Adam for this work!

Posted by Sahil Takiar <ta...@gmail.com>.
The FindBugs plugin for Yetus is now working. Yetus will give a -1 if it
finds any FindBugs warning in your patch. It gives a 0 for any patch
applied to a module that contains existing FindBugs warnings (e.g. ql has
2318 existing FindBugs issues).

--
Sahil Takiar
Software Engineer