Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2021/02/23 15:36:02 UTC

Reordering retirement steps?

Hi

I think we should reorder the retirement steps as documented on [1].
Specifically, we say to install an .htaccess file after requesting infra to
disable resources.  This probably worked in the SVN days, but now that most
podlings are git and websites are hosted in git, we should probably update
the website first as even the IPMC loses write access to the podling repos
after retirement.

My proposal would basically be to move the INFRA step to last on the page
and add a preceding comment "Only perform this step once all of the above
has been completed."

Thoughts?

John

[1]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html#steps_to_retirement

Re: Reordering retirement steps?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Feb 23, 2021, at 7:36 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I think we should reorder the retirement steps as documented on [1].
> Specifically, we say to install an .htaccess file after requesting infra to
> disable resources.  This probably worked in the SVN days, but now that most
> podlings are git and websites are hosted in git, we should probably update
> the website first as even the IPMC loses write access to the podling repos
> after retirement.
>
> My proposal would basically be to move the INFRA step to last on the page
> and add a preceding comment "Only perform this step once all of the above
> has been completed."
>
> Thoughts?

Since the website won’t be rebuilt we could ask Infra to make that change to production website directory. There may already be an .htaccess. This can be one of the subtasks.

I would ask Infra to review the task list.

Also -
	• It may be that the podling is moving or returning development elsewhere. If so, then modify the resolution attributes appropriately.

Should be moved into:
	• Add the "resolution" element. <insert here> (Follow the example of other recently retired podlings.)

Regards,
Dave