Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/15 14:45:23 UTC

RE: Cannot build simple DocBook document with fop svn 637076; works with 0.94

Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2008, at 12:21, John Brown wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>> I tried to convert the .fo to PDF with fop-0.94 and fop-trunk. My
>> installed packages are:
>>
>> DocBook DTD 4.1.2
>> DocBook XSL Stylesheets 1.62.0
>> JDK 1.6.0_03
>> fop-0.94 and fop svn (revision 637380)
>> xsltproc - Using libxml 20627, libxslt 10120 and libexslt 813
>>
>> It works with fop-0.94, but fop-trunk gives the following errors:
>> C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>fop c:\msys\tmp\book2.fo c:\msys\tmp\book2.pdf
>> Mar 15, 2008 5:56:56 AM org.apache.fop.cli.Main startFOP
>> SEVERE: Exception
>> java.io.FileNotFoundException: c:\msys\tmp\book2.pdf (The process
>> cannot access
>> the file because it is being used by another process)
>
> This seems like a familiar issue to me. Did you have the PDF open in
> another application, perhaps?

Oops. Yes, Acrobat Reader locked the file. I was concerned about the
"Illegal State" exceptions, which seemed to be complaining about the FO.

>> SEVERE: Exception
>> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Flow 'xsl-region-body' does not
>> map to the regi
>> on-body in page-master 'blank'. FOP presently does not support this.
>
> Also a familiar one: in XSL-FO it is possible to define a page-master
> with a region-body with region-name other than the one to which the
> fo:flow maps, for blank pages. FOP currently has a small problem with
> that.

Not that it means anything to me; I'm still at the "Hello world" stage :),
but thanks anyway.

>> How can I make xsltproc generate FO that will be accepted by fop
>> trunk? Probably
>> by upgrading my stylesheets?
>
> My experience with Docbook is severely limited I'm afraid, so
> unfortunately I cannot tell you how to make it behave this way...
> Upgrading to Docbook 1.7x seems like it's worth a shot.

Fop trunk works with the updated stylesheets. Book2.pdf was produced
with fop-0.94 and the FO from the old stylesheet without warnings.
Book2b.pdf was produced with fop trunk and the new stylesheet with the
following warnings:

Mar 15, 2008 8:27:58 AM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
WARNING: Font 'Symbol,normal,700' not found. Substituting with 'Symbol,normal,40
0'.
Mar 15, 2008 8:27:58 AM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
WARNING: Font 'ZapfDingbats,normal,700' not found. Substituting with 'ZapfDingba
ts,normal,400'.

Recently, I saw some messages about font configuration, so between the archives
and the FOP documentation, I should be able to understand the warnings.

I have attached both PDF files. Note that book2.pdf has 5 pages (one is blank)
while book2b.pdf has 4 pages. I am not sure which one, if any, is what the
author intended. The author did not provide a PDF.

I think that, assuming duplex printing,  the Table of Contents,as well as each
chapter, should start on an odd-numbered page. Neither PDF meets this
requirement. Still, it is a minimal example, and maybe it is up to the author
to specifically insert blank pages.

Climb to the top of the charts!�Play the word scramble challenge with star power.