Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by sa...@women-at-work.org on 2005/01/28 10:58:54 UTC

My personal Tapestry wish-list

My personal Tapestry wish-list would be:

- a tapestry javascript component for static trees for navigation menus
(containing a link and optional image at the end)

- tables: being able to specify external links for the pages, e.g. instead
of having messy urls.

- easy-to-use dependent comboboxes (optionally with javascript
notifications)

- themeing support, e.g. for specifying the .html templates name with a
parameter

- support of secure sessions using changing session ids

- progress bars for file upload ;-)

Re: My personal Tapestry wish-list

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
The biggest problems I've found are actually with IE. I can get something
working in Firefox in 10 minutes and then spend two hours making it work
with IE. This has happened to me two or three times.

There are useful links that have helped me on this page. Make sure you check
out The Puppy Site:
http://www.neonguild.org/tools.htm

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
>A previous email from someone titled "My personal Tapestry wish-list" met
>with the same fate. People started arguing about whether or not the
>requester's wish-list was legitimate or not. Why do we treat users this way?

Because verification of wish legitimacy never harms. What if user will
want to kill elderly ladies with using Tapestry?
On the serious note: user(my) wish might be unreasonable or caused by
problem/framework misunderstanding etc. It  is important to verify if a
request is reasonable.

On the layout topic: it looks like wiki has tracks of attacking this
problem and it probably will be addressed in 3.1

RE: CSS layouts

Posted by Lindsay Steele <ls...@iinet.net.au>.
Actually the first thing that was said before anything else, was to add
the requests to the Wiki page.

 The rest was legitimate discussion about features that might currently
furfill the need of the person at this current time and whether some of
those features put forward are really needed in the future.

 I learned a lot out of this discussion .. Thanks for all the comments
and links.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Luc Peerdeman <lj...@xs4all.nl>.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
I sent these links earlier, but there seems to have been some mail
delivery problems from work today. So, apologies if it shows up again.

This link has a very thickly commented style sheet for the purposes of
instruction. The layout is liquid and does some pretty cool stuff--for
example, using a background image technique that scales the image with
the browser.

http://www.neonguild.org/cssdemo/

Jamie

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
This demo does some cool liquid layout. Debra put a lot of comments in the
style sheet to help people learning it.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Posted by Darren foltinek <da...@frontrange.ca>.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Darren foltinek <da...@frontrange.ca>.
Sorry, forgot the link:  http://www.canadianfocus.com/

The app uses a "fixed width, page centered" layout, which is what our
designed specified.  He doesn't like liquid layouts.

It works across different browsers, and will display a "Browser Not
Supported" page if you try a completely ancient browser.

The UI looks OK if you scale up/down, but it's NOT great, because of the
fixed width design.  Again, our designer specified font sizes, so if
those change, well, there goes the layout!

-- Darren

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Darren foltinek <da...@frontrange.ca>.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com>.
One solution people have suggested is developing a couple of
stylesheets that deal with the eccentricities of the browsers. Then you
serve the appropriate stylesheet based on the browser the client is
using. Assuming you have a @Border component or something similar,
that's one set of if/else's in one Java file, and you don't have to
bend over backwards to make sure your CSS works in every browser; you
just have to figure out what works in the ones you're targeting.

Later, as browsers get better at implementing the standard, you may be
able to consolidate your CSS instances.

Todd

Re: CSS layouts [auf Viren geprueft]

Posted by Jonathan O'Connor <Jo...@xcom.de>.

In Zeldman's book "Designing with Web Standards", he says that your web
site does not have to look exactly the same in all browsers. Yes, you can
make it look really nice in the new browsers, but its OK if the pages
don't look funky but still work in older browsers.
What should never happen, (which seems to happen quite alot to me now that
I've switched to Firefox as my main browser) is sites detecting that I'm
not using Browser X, and stopping me from using the site. I don't care if
the site looks like something designed by a programmer, instead of a
graphic designer. I just want to be able to use these sites.
Ciao,
Jonathan O'Connor
XCOM Dublin

Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>
31/01/2005 06:56
Please respond to
"Tapestry users" <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>

Tapestry users <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject

Luc Peerdeman wrote:

> Konstantin Iignatyev wrote:
>
>> Of course I use CSS (could not claim that I am a pro), but even
>> simple thing like links underscoring sometimes works differently in
>> IE and Firefox/Mozilla. zengarden is supposed to be a showcase but it
>> fails because of reasons I have mentioned.
>>
>> No, I do not use CSS for layout, not I plan to in the nearest future.
>

> I can highly recommend the following books:
>
> - Designing with web standards, by Jeffrey Zeldman (very fun to read
> and explains very well why CSS nowadays is _the_ way to handle layout)
>
> - Web standards solutions, by Dan Cederholm (many nice examples of how
> to use web standards to make perfectly layed out pages)
>
> And of course the books by Eric Meyer on CSS (two books with project
> examples and two reference books).
>
> After reading those I am sure you will have to adjust your ideas about
> CSS. I have to admit that until half a year ago I also did not realize
> the possibilities of CSS combined with other technologies (like DOM in
> the browser etc). Also did not know that for almost all browser
> incompatibilities good solutions have been thought out, so there is no
> need anymore for different versions of pages for browser sniffing for
> layout reasons.
>
> One of the advantages I have experienced on my current project is the
> fact that pages get much more compact when styled in a smart way. I
> got some HTML templates for from a design firm that were styled in the
> old fashioned way: nested tables, inline images, etc etc. I was able
> to move all the images and styling to the CSS, reducing the size of
> the HTML that we now send to the client by (rough estimate) 80 %. And
> the layout looks exactly like the customer asked, and can be changed
> much more easily.
>
> For us as developers an added advantage is that Tapestry templates now
> look much cleaner with lots of the layout things moved to CSS classes.
>
> Btw a lot of good information on these subjects can also be found on
> the websites of said authors and on for example
> http://www.alistapart.com/
>
> Cheers, Luc.

Konstantin Ignatyev

http://www.kgionline.com

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen
million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of
tropical rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between
forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil,
add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population
by 263.000

Bowers, C.A. The Culture of Denial:
Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities
and Public Schools.
New York: State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

http://mail.yahoo.com

*** Aktuelle Veranstaltungen der XCOM AG ***

XCOM laedt ein zur IBM Workplace Roadshow in Frankfurt (16.02.2005), Duesseldorf (23.02.2005) und Berlin (02.03.2005)
Anmeldung und Information unter http://lotus.xcom.de/events

Workshop-Reihe "Mobilisierung von Lotus Notes Applikationen"  in Frankfurt (17.02.2005), Duesseldorf (24.02.2005) und Berlin (05.03.2005)
Anmeldung und Information unter http://lotus.xcom.de/events

*** XCOM AG Legal Disclaimer ***

Diese E-Mail einschliesslich ihrer Anhaenge ist vertraulich und ist allein für den Gebrauch durch den vorgesehenen Empfaenger bestimmt. Dritten ist das Lesen, Verteilen oder Weiterleiten dieser E-Mail untersagt. Wir bitten, eine fehlgeleitete E-Mail unverzueglich vollstaendig zu loeschen und uns eine Nachricht zukommen zu lassen.

This email may contain material that is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Re: CSS layouts

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.

CSS layouts

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Luc Peerdeman <lj...@xs4all.nl>.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
 From the garden: Full browser compliance is still sometimes a pipe

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
You might think that, but you haven't been to the Zen Garden:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:37:35 +0100 (MET),
sarah.simbad@women-at-work.org <sa...@women-at-work.org> wrote:
> If you have the navigation bar on the left, or in the middle or at the right
> hand side you need completely different themes that can not be
> achieved through css. You also might have a flash theme or a wap theme...or
> optimized for web tv..or a theme for blind people.
>
> > On Jan 28, 2005, at 4:58 AM, sarah.simbad@women-at-work.org wrote:>> > My
> personal Tapestry wish-list would be:
> >
> > Add these to the wiki:
> >
> >       http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/WishList
> >
> > > - themeing support, e.g. for specifying the .html templates name with a
> > > parameter
> >
> > What exactly do you need to switch for themes?  If its just CSS, which
> > is the primary way it should be done, then you could easily toggle the
> > @Shell stylesheet parameter dynamically with very little code at all.
> > You can also swap templates by faking the locale setting currently.
> >
> > You may also want to consider using SiteMesh for this type of theming.
> > SiteMesh is my current hammer, and it has some very nice ways of doing
> > these sorts of things also.  And I just created a way to allow Tapestry
> > pages to be SiteMesh decorators.
> >
> > Yes, it will be nice to have improved theme support from Tapestry
> > itself in the future, but do consider the options above now.
> >
> >       Erik

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: My personal Tapestry wish-list

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 28, 2005, at 9:37 AM, sarah.simbad@women-at-work.org wrote:
> If you have the navigation bar on the left, or in the middle or at the
> right
> hand side you need completely different themes that can not be
> achieved through css.

 From what I've seen, this is incorrect.  CSS can most definitely
control layout to this degree and much more.  Click on the different
themes on this site:

	http://www.csszengarden.com/

>  You also might have a flash theme or a wap theme...or
> optimized for web tv..or a theme for blind people.

Again, I think you should consider SiteMesh.  You could have URL's like
/flash, /wap, /webtv, /blind all mapped to different Tapestry pages
keyed off the user agent, request parameters, or any other tricks you'd
like.  Or you could have them all mapped to the same Tapestry page and
have the page know which "theme" has been selected.

Too often it seems we think every solution must be embedded within
Tapestry.  While I agree that flexible theme switching logic built into
the framework is nice and needed, there are perfectly viable and clean
solutions that you can have *today*.

	Erik

Re: My personal Tapestry wish-list

Posted by Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com>.
Um, the position of the navigation bar is completely controllable by
CSS.

Check out
http://www.csszengarden.com
to see just what you can do with CSS alone.

Todd

Posted by sa...@women-at-work.org.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.