Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff <pr...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/24 18:16:34 UTC

Exporting build information for use by other processes...

Is it possible to export the build number or the URL of the artifact
(SNAPSHOT and release depending on build) that was uploaded to our internal
repository or any other information about the build and/or artifacts?

I saw reference to the build number plugin, but don't necessarily need to
generate a custom build number.  I just want to be able to grab the
information and save or export it somehow.  Is that possible?

What have others done?  The system in question is our GO Continuous
deployment pipelines (and some Jenkins jobs).  I want to pass the
information to downstream jobs for deployment or other tasks.  It would be
nice to get the unique build number and the artifact URL to start.

Thanks much!

--
Jeff Vincent
predatorvi@gmail.com

Re: Exporting build information for use by other processes...

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Jeff,

> Is it possible to export the build number or the URL of the artifact
> (SNAPSHOT and release depending on build) that was uploaded to our
internal
> repository or any other information about the build and/or artifacts?

I was pursuing a similar goal a couple weeks ago: I wanted the SCM revision
number embedded in the JAR's manifest. You can indeed do it with codehaus's
buildnumber plugin:
    https://github.com/scijava/scijava-common/commit/ccce33c5

As for passing a build number from Jenkins, I think you can send the
BUILD_NUMBER environment variable to Java as a system property via a
command line parameter such as -Djenkins.build=$BUILD_NUMBER, then
reference it in the POM as a Maven property, to do with as you will. GO
presumably has something similar.

I am not sure how best to obtain the deployment URL though.

HTH,
Curtis

Posted by Jeff <pr...@gmail.com>.
Any thoughts on this?