Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/05 11:04:32 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8 and JAXB and 3.0.1

Hi Dan

It appears the update has caused 3.0.1 effectively 'dropping' Java 6
support from CXF 3.0.1, I'm seeing the build errors like

[ERROR]
rt/ws/policy/target/generated/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/policy/v200607/OperatorContentType.java:[59,122]
cannot find symbol
[ERROR] symbol  : method required()
[ERROR] location: @interface javax.xml.bind.annotation.XmlElementRef

Can we somehow adjust the generation process may be in 3.0.1 ?

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
All works with JDK 1.6.45, sorry about the noise :-), some bug with the
Java 6 26

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan
On 05/06/14 14:30, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Is anyone else able to reproduce this?   I’ve been using Java6 on the Mac just fine.
>>
>> Also, what version of Maven are you using?
>
> Just tried with J6 on the Mac with both Maven 3.2.1 and 3.0.5.   Both worked.   I’ll try on my Linux box later today.

Sorry, was just going to start a build with the latest java 6, I had the
build picking up Java6 26. Will get back shortly

Cheers, Sergey
> Dan
>

>> Dan
>>

>> On Jun 5, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dan
>>>
>>> It appears the update has caused 3.0.1 effectively 'dropping' Java 6 support from CXF 3.0.1, I'm seeing the build errors like
>>>
>>> [ERROR] rt/ws/policy/target/generated/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/policy/v200607/OperatorContentType.java:[59,122] cannot find symbol
>>> [ERROR] symbol  : method required()
>>> [ERROR] location: @interface javax.xml.bind.annotation.XmlElementRef
>>>
>>> Can we somehow adjust the generation process may be in 3.0.1 ?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Sergey

>> --
>> Daniel Kulp

Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8 and JAXB and 3.0.1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Jun 5, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Is anyone else able to reproduce this?   I’ve been using Java6 on the Mac just fine.
>
> Also, what version of Maven are you using?

Just tried with J6 on the Mac with both Maven 3.2.1 and 3.0.5.   Both worked.   I’ll try on my Linux box later today.

Dan

> Dan
>

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan
>>
>> It appears the update has caused 3.0.1 effectively 'dropping' Java 6 support from CXF 3.0.1, I'm seeing the build errors like
>>
>> [ERROR] rt/ws/policy/target/generated/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/policy/v200607/OperatorContentType.java:[59,122] cannot find symbol
>> [ERROR] symbol  : method required()
>> [ERROR] location: @interface javax.xml.bind.annotation.XmlElementRef
>>
>> Can we somehow adjust the generation process may be in 3.0.1 ?
>>
>> Cheers, Sergey
>>

>> On 28/05/14 15:41, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a new version of JAXB available in central (2.2.10-b140310.1920) that allows it to work better with Java 8.   All the CXF tooling tests now pass.  There is a new single failure in the jaxws systests and of course all the OSGi and JIBX related things still fail.   Thus, it’s a step in the right direction.
>>>
>>> HOWEVER, there is a minor incompatibility with it and JAXB 2.2.7 that we’ve been using so I want to bring this up for discussion before updating master to use this for 3.0.1.   With 2.2.7, we had just two jaxb related jars:  jaxb-impl and jaxb-xjc.   With 2.2.10, it adds a third:  jaxb-core.   For the most part, people that get JAXB transitively from CXF won’t have any issue as I can update our poms to bring that in as well.   However, anyone that excludes JAXB when grabbing CXF would have to update their poms to also exclude that jar.
>>>
>>> So, the question is: is that kind of thing OK for 3.0.1 or would it need to wait for 3.1?   Personally, I’d like to get it in for 3.0.1 as it brings us closer to having support for Java8.  In particular, the command line tools in bin (wsdl2java, etc….) would work.
>>>
>>> Another note:  the jaxb stuff in “com.sun.xml.bind” in maven central are now shaded versions of stuff  in org.glassfish.jaxb.  Thus, longer term, we likely should flip to the org.glassfish versions.  That’s an even bigger change and not something I’d like to do for 3.0.1 though.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

> --
> Daniel Kulp

Daniel Kulp