Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/06/14 18:53:14 UTC

Re: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Hi Richard,

I just want to add that also we, at Apache James project, discussed
about removing our Avalon Phoenix dependency in favor of OSGi/Felix.

I crosspost this to james server-dev list, to let James developers know
of this message and eventually raise questions, and felix may be
interested to know that also James like Directory, Harmony and Cocoon is
monitoring Felix.

Stefano

Re: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
One last cross post...

Cool. Thanks for letting us know. If you need any help or ideas,
definitely involve us.

-> richard

Re[2]: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.biz>.
I will be at ApacheCon Europe in Dublin. Would love to have a
discussion about this and hear what you want to do, and how you want
to do it.

I  looked  at  James  a  couple  of  years  ago  and thought it was an
archetype of an OSGi application :-) Love to see it move there now!

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens

Re: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
One last cross post...

Re[2]: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.biz>.

Re: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <io...@bago.org>.
Didier Donsez wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara a écrit :
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I just want to add that also we, at Apache James project, discussed
>> about removing our Avalon Phoenix dependency in favor of OSGi/Felix.
>>
> Great news
> Mailets will be deployed as separate bundles ?
> Didier

We are much more far than this.

We only discussed about alternative containers to deprecate phoenix that
is old and not supported and we already had a consensus about OSGi/Felix.

This move will probably will take a lot and it is too early to talk
about this detail.

James developers never used OSGi yet, so we have to familiarize with it
before starting any work/plan about it.

I'm monitoring the Apache Directory moves wrt Felix to understand
something more as I think James may share (inherith) some service with
Directory project (Mina, LDAP)

Stefano

RE: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Didier Donsez wrote:

> Mailets will be deployed as separate bundles ?

I suspect not, no.  The Mailet container might be, but I consider it
unlikely for the mailet packages.

	--- Noel

Re: ApacheCon EU OSGi panel

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
Stefano Bagnara a écrit :

> Hi Richard,
>
> I just want to add that also we, at Apache James project, discussed
> about removing our Avalon Phoenix dependency in favor of OSGi/Felix.

Great news
Mailets will be deployed as separate bundles ?
Didier

> I crosspost this to james server-dev list, to let James developers
> know of this message and eventually raise questions, and felix may be
> interested to know that also James like Directory, Harmony and Cocoon
> is monitoring Felix.
>
> Stefano
>
> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> We will be having an OSGi-related panel at the EU ApacheCon in
>> Dublin, here is the abstract:
>>
>>    The Future of OSGi and Felix at Apache
>>
>>    Apache Felix has focused more attention on OSGi technology within
>>    Apache. Interest started in projects that needed the dynamic
>>    modularity and component mechanisms which OSGi provides, for
>>    example, Apache Directory. The use of OSGi/Felix has been discussed
>>    in other Apache projects like Harmony and Cocoon. This raises
>>    interesting questions: Where in Apache can OSGi technology be
>>    useful? How should it be used? What are the limitations for Apache?
>>    This session is a panel discussion composed of several key
>>    individuals from the OSGi Alliance and Apache community to debate
>>    these and related issues.
>>
>> The panel includes: myself, Peter Kriens, Enrique Rodriguez, Jason
>> van Zyl, and Geir Magnusson as moderator.
>>
>> Are there any issues or questions that anyone in the community would
>> like see raised during this panel discussion?
>>
>> -> richard

Didier DONSEZ
Laboratoire LSR, Institut Imag, Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr