Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/11 15:02:29 UTC

transformed poms

When ivy is used with ibiblio, the resulting ivy that mimics maven has

<conf name="master" visibility="public" description="contains only the
artifact published by this module itself, with no transitive dependencies"/>

<conf name="compile" visibility="public" description="this is the default
scope, used if none is specified. Compile dependencies are available in all
classpaths."/>

<conf name="runtime" visibility="public" description="this scope indicates
that the dependency is not required for compilation, but is for execution.
It is in the runtime and test classpaths, but not the compile classpath."
extends="compile"/>

I think compile should extends master.  Indeed, if I have a compile or
runtime dependency of a pom with the current settings, I will not have the
published jar itself.

The alternative is to publish the jar in the compile and runtime
configuration as well.

WDYT?

Gilles

Re: transformed poms

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/11/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When ivy is used with ibiblio, the resulting ivy that mimics maven has
>
> <conf name="master" visibility="public" description="contains only the
> artifact published by this module itself, with no transitive
> dependencies"/>
>
> <conf name="compile" visibility="public" description="this is the default
> scope, used if none is specified. Compile dependencies are available in
> all
> classpaths."/>
>
> <conf name="runtime" visibility="public" description="this scope indicates
> that the dependency is not required for compilation, but is for execution.
> It is in the runtime and test classpaths, but not the compile classpath."
> extends="compile"/>
>

> I think compile should extends master.  Indeed, if I have a compile or
> runtime dependency of a pom with the current settings, I will not have the
> published jar itself.
>
> The alternative is to publish the jar in the compile and runtime
> configuration as well.
>
> WDYT?

Indeed, it makes sense. I had some troubles fully understanding  the maven 2
dependency scope matrix and it seems I missed that. So I think making
compile extends master is the good way to go, and we will also be able to
simplify the mapping rules defined in the parser.

Xavier

Gilles

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/