Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> on 2008/03/23 11:20:36 UTC

1200 variants with 6 feature types

I have a customer with a rather large number of selectable variants.
To show the product in ecommerce with the selectable options takes very
long.
My question is : is the system not designed for these large number of
variants or could it be something else is wrong?
I checked the cache and it seems to be working fine.....

Regards,
Hans

Re: 1200 variants with 6 feature types

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
You could consider breaking the virtual product up into multiple products.
In the demo data, you could in theory create a single widget virtual product
to encompass all the other widgets as variants but practically it's much
better to use categories for this and then present the user with only a few
options to get from the chosen virtual to the variant.

I haven't looked at the code for ages but there is a good chance every
single variant is looked up individually before the page is displayed.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Manuel Desdin <md...@iguanait.com>.
Hi Hans:
Try a different approach, AJAX maybe?
The html output is too big probably and in any case no browser will
handle so big select field, at least not fast!
Hope this helps,
Manuel.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Usually when working with clients the distinction I prefer between
virtual/variant and configurable products is that with virtual/variant
products they exist in advance and need to be inventoried, and with
configurable products they will be built-to-order from a common set of
parts that are in inventory.

As for this scale, who knows... this sounds like a case where a
profiling tool or some manual timing code here and there to determine
the main performance problem is needed.

-David