Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Roberto Nunnari <nu...@die.supsi.ch> on 2003/05/06 12:19:42 UTC

tomcat always generates charset in Content-Type http header

Hi there.

I'm sorry if you consider this post as noise.. but as I already
posted twice to the user list without any useful answer, I decided
I'd give a try here.

I'm using tomcat 4.1.12 to serve kind of xml pages to an application.
I'm using jsp.
I use
<%@page contentType="text/xml"%>
to set the right content type for the client application in the
jsp page.

The problem is that tomcat automatically sets the charset in the
http header with a default value of iso-8859-1 even though I
don't specify a charset in the above page directive.. just
as if I had included the following directive:
<%@page contentType="text/xml; charset=iso-8859-1" %>

That's very sensible if the client is a web broser,
but the interested client gets very upset with it.. it simply
doesn't want to receive the charset header.
The error message the client gives is:

Content-Type should be "text/xml" and not "text/xml; charset=ISO-8859-1"

So.. my problem is not that I want a different encoding.. I know how
to do that..
My problem is that I want tomcat -NOT set- the charset in the http header.

Can any kind soul help me out with a way to have tomcat not to
set the charset header? ..and that should be specific to a web
application.. letting the other webapplications behave as usual..
the ideal would be by using a directive in the .jsp page..

I would also like to know if that behaviour is specified by a
standard to which tomcat conforms to... what does the http RFC
sais about that? does the protocol requires that the server
sets that header in any case?

Thanks and best regards.
--
               Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                 mailto:nunnari@die.supsi.ch

Re: tomcat always generates charset in Content-Type http header

Posted by Andrew Chapman <an...@clicktools.com>.
The definitive reference for directives are the JSP specifications
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/download.html#specs

Or there are quick syntax guides:
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/docs.html

I'm certain that there are excerpts and other references available
elsewhere too.

clicktools
T: +44 1202 317755
4 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road
Bournemouth, Dorset, BH8 8JN

Posted by Roberto Nunnari <nu...@die.supsi.ch>.

Posted by Roberto Nunnari <nu...@die.supsi.ch>.
Thank you very much, Andy.