Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/21 18:16:31 UTC

DISCLAIMER files - why are they being overlooked?

AIUI, DISCLAIMER files (*) should be present alongside NOTICE and
LICENSE files in all releases and in the top-level SVN directory, and
the disclaimer text should be prominently displayed on the podling
web-site.

These items are easy to do, but are frequently overlooked, so I wonder
if the podling templates should be updated with appropriate sections
that have to be completed?

Or perhaps there's a better way to ensure it happens?

(*) alternatively, the text can be added to the README file.
But I think that should be discouraged - it's easy for users to miss.
Also on graduation it's simple just to delete the DISCLAIMER file.

Re: DISCLAIMER files - why are they being overlooked?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> AIUI, DISCLAIMER files (*) should be present alongside NOTICE and
> LICENSE files in all releases and in the top-level SVN directory, and
> the disclaimer text should be prominently displayed on the podling
> web-site.
>
> These items are easy to do, but are frequently overlooked, so I wonder
> if the podling templates should be updated with appropriate sections
> that have to be completed?

+1

> Or perhaps there's a better way to ensure it happens?

In general, more ways are better. Automated checks using components in
Rat would probably make sense...

> (*) alternatively, the text can be added to the README file.
> But I think that should be discouraged - it's easy for users to miss.
> Also on graduation it's simple just to delete the DISCLAIMER file.

+1

Robert