Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Marcos Aza Hidalgo <ma...@alum.etsii.upm.es> on 2003/04/09 11:25:14 UTC

jsp:forward

if i want to forward to an action from a jsp, is this the right way?

<jsp:forward page="/gesma/profile_detail.do">
  <jsp:param name='cod_perfil' value='3' />
</jsp:forward>

RE: Trouble with populating nested beans in an ActionForm from a jsp

Posted by Rob Miller <ro...@operatelecom.com>.
Nevermind, I figured it out. Damn reset() method :)
Completely forgot I'd  put anything in it and was setting things to
null. Now remember when I did that I thought it was needed to
uninstantiate everything in the form like a kind of destroy method but
it seems it doesn't help with persistance much if you null everything
out...

Well, sods law says if I didn't post I wouldn't have found the problem
anyway, these things are always self diagnosed minutes after posting to
a discussion list ;)

RE: Trouble with populating nested beans in an ActionForm from a jsp

Posted by Rob Miller <ro...@operatelecom.com>.
Oops, forgot to mention I have all the latest api's.
Tomcat 4.1.24, struts 1.1-rc1, beanutils.1.6.1 etc.

Trouble with populating nested beans in an ActionForm from a jsp

Posted by Rob Miller <ro...@operatelecom.com>.
Hi, this has been driving me crazy the last couple of days so hopefully
someone here can shed some light on the situation. I have an action form
which contains a bean which contains a couple of string objects. All the
getter/setter methods are correct and my jsp can show the data grabbed
from my database that has been populated to the form (form is stored in
session). Im using the nest taglibs and am positive my sytax is correct
(since it can display my form data fine in the page). The problem is
after submit is hit, it doesn't reach the action behind the form but
throws

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No bean specified at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptor(Propert
yUtils.java:837)

Its worth noting that non nested strings in the form work fine, only
nested beans have a problem. I've debugged and traced through with
JBuilder and found that the problem seems to stem from Line 1185 in
PropertyUtils,

Object value = readMethod.invoke(bean, new Object[0]);

The bean object is my action form, the readMethod object is correctly
configured with my getter method for the nested bean ( getServices() ),
it also has the return type correctly configured (com.blah.ServicesBean)
but for some reason I cant fathom it returns null instead of my nested
bean. I cant trace into this method further since its part of
sun.reflect and I cant find the source code for this package.

I hope this made sense and someone can provide some insight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Rob