Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/28 20:57:13 UTC

Implementing Chart of Accounts for Switzerland (Or any country for that matter)

Hello

I'm looking for Information about implementing a completely new chart of
accounts. I think i actually found everything important, but i still want
to ask about some random input and a share of your experiences.

So. As i understand the first Step is to create the global chart (tree) as
the example "data/DemoGeneralChartOfAccounts.xml" states. This will result
in the entries in

Accounting -> Global GL Settings

And with that, i can configure the Organization GL Settings which are
specific to my needs.

1. Could there be any dependencies one has to take care of when using a
different chart of accounts?

2. Is there an "OFBiz"-Way for doing that? Since this Chart is not part of
ofbiz, should i keep it in the hot-deploy folder? How do you organize?

3. How do i tell ofbiz to use not the Demo tree but my own, after creating
it? Grep reveals a number of files using DemoGeneralChartOfAccounts.xml but
i bet there is a Global setting somewhere. Well. Probably just
ofbiz-component.xml and SetupEvents.xml...

Regards, Adrian

Re: Implementing Chart of Accounts for Switzerland (Or any country for that matter)

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian,

If you don't want to use the demo data in your set up you have to ensure
that it not loaded when you are initiating your setup.

When you do an ./ant load it will by default load the demo data as well.

Look with ./ant -p what options are available.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://ORRTIZ.COM>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I have not run any tests lately, from what I know, Demo data for CoA should work fine with Demo store data used in eCommerce store.

Depending on the business size, you may or may not need the big CoA comes with demo data.

Thanks and Regards
Anil Patel
COO
Hotwax Media Inc
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com/
ApacheCon US 2013 Gold Sponsor
http://na.apachecon.com/sponsors/

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anil K Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Adrian,
I don't mind, please ask as many questions :)

You are right glaccount class is used lot more in reporting. For automatic posting glaccounttype is your best friend.

The data setup process is good amount of work, if you are doing it for first time. Depending on how much time and help you got, you can adjust your speed.

To learn basics, I suggest you start with some thing very simple e.g Sales Invoice. Your accountant can give you sample invoice and gl transactions that should be created for the invoice.

Go create your sample invoice in OOTB accounting application. For each invoice line item, set glaccountid. When invoice is posted you will see that accounting transactions are created in gl.

Now review the invoice item type on each item in invoice you just created in ofbiz, you now have invoiceitemtype to glaccountId mapping for select invoiceItemTypes.

I am sure you know that OFBiz is superset of all you will ever need, skill is how to safely not use what you don't need :)

Similarly get all possible sample invoices from your accountant, follow the same exercise. Soon you will have list of invoiceItemTypes your business uses.

You can then follow same process for all invoice types and payments and shipments.

To enjoy the process I recommend you should get comfortable with editing XML file in text editor. Learn to steps to upload data into Ofbiz using webtools application.

Please know that I have not yet looked at the csv you shared. I will see it later today.

Anil K Patel
Sent from my iPad

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
Others please chime in if I am wrong, but...

Pretty sure if you omit BILL_TO_CUSTOMER -or- BILL_FROM_VENDOR things will
not work.  There are at least 25 references in the java code that use these
roles.

ofbiz.1104# find . -type f -name \*\.java | xargs egrep
'(BILL_TO_CUSTOMER|BILL_FROM_VENDOR)' | wc -l
25

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anil

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Anil

Posted by Anil K Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anil

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Adrian,

Regarding questions in your first email.

You can safely ignore GL Account Class for automatic posting of business transactions to general ledger.

I see you got basic steps figured

Step 1) Define Chart of Account. For reference use DemoGeneralChartOfAccounts.xml

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques

We're currently working with this tree. But as it seems the paths are not
absolute.

glAccountId=300000 -> Equity (Equity)is
glAccountId=310000 -> OwnersEquity (Equity - OwnersEquity)
glAccountId=311000 -> ReturnOfCapital (Distribution - ReturnOfCapital)

While the first two are in the same branch, ReturnOfCapital is in the
Branch of Distribution.

This tells us that it is not important to stay in one branch but instead it
is sometimes necessary to switch branches like in the example above.

Is there some policy for the usage of this classes? And also ist there a
similiar list for the glAccountTypeId's?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor

Posted by Igor Gallingani <ig...@gmail.com>.