Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Denny Ye <de...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/31 10:47:59 UTC

Can Flume print system metrics from command model

hi guys,
    I have met one problem about Flume monitoring in isolated environment.
We cannot support JMX or other metrics method in Flume instance. If there
have any problems in data flow, log file has the only dependency that can
help me.
    Also I would like to know the event status, such like received by
source , stored at channel and consumed by sink, and so on. It's useful for
troubleshooting without other types of monitoring.
    Is this necessary for other one to know metrics from command line like
this 'bin/flume-ng metrics'?

-Regards
Denny Ye

Re: Can Flume print system metrics from command model

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
Hi Denny,
I think you mean is it "possible" to do something like "flume-ng
metrics" and at this point the answer is no. However you can use the HTTP
metrics or JMX metrics to query the metrics locally via a program or script
you write yourself, or even "curl" executed over SSH.

Does that make sense?

Regards,
Mike