Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Kjetil Kjernsmo <kj...@blindeforbundet.no> on 2002/03/04 15:58:14 UTC

Help in choosing CMS

Dear all,

I'm new to this list (but I have practiced some delayed lurking), in fact,
I'm new to Java, Jakarta, Tomcat, and most of this technology. I'm pretty
experienced with the web though (been writing HTML since 1994).

For the next two months, I'll be working full-time on a semi-voluntary basis
with new web solutions for the Norwegian Association of the Blind and
Partially Sighted.

Other volunteers have in their spare time wanted to go for a PostNuke-based
solution. I'm the one who will implement this stuff, and they have given me
the go-ahead for researching other solutions. I've never liked PHP, and in my
experience, with PostNuke-like solutions, you may get nice stuff around the
articles, but the code in the article itself is neglected. Also, it is often
hard to include images. Obviously, accessibility is extremely important for
this application, both for those who read content and those who produce it.

I feel that a different approach to CMS must be taken, and looking around,
Jakarta Slide has many of the concepts I feel are needed. However,
I've read some of the Jakarta Slide docs, and I feel it is a rather imposing
and abstract read. Not being easily scared and eager to learn, I'm still
looking to Slide.

I hope someone on the list can assist me in choosing the right technology for
our needs.

Are there any good examples of Slide in use in real-world-applications? It
would help a lot to have a working example where code is available, so that
it doesn't get that abstract. It is not quite clear to me what Jakarta Slide
actually does.

Indeed, PostNuke does provide most of the functionality we need. It needs to
be easy to add users, group users and assign permissions to those.áI
understand that ACP is intended for this purpose and that Slide has support
for the draft, but how easy is it to get this into a simple, accessible
web-application? Stories posted on the front page should be transfered to an
archive automatically, it should be possible to postpone posting an article
to a specific time. Links between articles should be maintained automatically.
It should be possible that articles include images, and preferably markup
with good structure.

How difficult is builing stuff like that (basically, building a system like
PostNuke) from the low-level framework?

Best,

Kjetil

Special letters

Posted by Jacob Lund <ja...@qualiware.com>.
Hi all!

I am Danish and in Denmark we have 3 additional letters compared to the
English alphabet. Slide does not seem to like these letters. Is there
something that I can do about this?

Thanks
/Jacob