Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/08/12 03:12:05 UTC

Re: DRAFT Press Release (taking this forward to the PRC on Monday unless there are significant changes ... keep 'em coming)

I incorporated the good ideas I've seen so far.  Not sure if cross-
posting to prc is appropriate but seems to be working so far :)

Ted, I like the change in ordering you suggested...seems to give us a
bit more punch.

===== DRAFT =====

Apache Geronimo Version 2.0 released by Apache Software Foundation

date/time/location—  The newly released Apache Geronimo 2.0 (http://
geronimo.apache.org) breaks new ground as the first Open Source
Application Server to provide two certified Web Services
implementations: Apache Axis and Apache CXF.

Apache Geronimo 2.0 is the latest open source Java Enterprise Edition
5.0 application server from the Apache Software Foundation, and
continues the evolution of the Apache Geronimo server by adding new
features and capabilities to a fully compliant and certified Java
Enterprise Edition 5.0 container suitable for everything from a
development environment to enterprise-level deployments. Flexibility
and choice, you have both with Apache Geronimo.

Some of the new features are e simplified development, improved
diagnostics and flexible assemblies.  Simplified deployment is
achieved through the use of standards based programming model
enhancements found in Java Enterprise Edition 5.0.  Here is a list of
some of these enhancements:

- Streamlined development options provided with Java Enterprise
Edition 5.0
- EJB 3.0 persistence
- A programming model that uses annotations to express developer
defaults in the source code

Improved diagnostic capabilities include enhanced logging, class
loader viewer as well as JMX browser all available from the included
console.  Change logging levels on the fly as well as view existing
logs with a set of filters.  Looking for a class and wondering where
it came from?  The class loader viewer let’s you find them.  Want to
see or change the attributes for MBeans in the server?  The JMX
browser allows you to navigate the MBeans in the server in a simple
tree format without having to hook up external consoles or third
party products.

Flexible assemblies are realized through the project’s continued
promotion of the ”Little G” Version 2.0—a lightweight container
offering for projects that don’t need the full feature set of Java
Enterprise Edition 5.0.  Perfect for web-service and SOA deployments,
"Little G" brings the modularity, manageability and extensibility of
Apache Geronimo to a lightweight assembly that is small in footprint
but full of capability.

This flexible, user-friendly, and easy-to-configure application
server is built from best-of-breed open source components and is
fully licensed under the Apache Software License, offering multiple
benefits to organizations and their development teams. They can use
Apache Geronimo as-is or, if they so choose, create their own custom
offerings without the restrictions imposed by other Open Source
licenses.

Flexibility and choice, you have both with Apache Geronimo.

The software can be downloaded for free from the Apache Geronimo web
site ( http://geronimo.apache.org/).

About the Apache Software Foundation

The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal and
financial support for a broad range of open source software projects.
The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual
property and financial contributions, while simultaneously limiting
contributors' potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and
meritocratic development process, Apache projects deliver enterprise-
grade, freely available software products that attract large
communities of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for
all users--commercial and individual--to deploy Apache products. For
more information on The Apache Software Foundation, please visit
http://www.apache.org/.

Java, J2EE and Java Enterprise Edition are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other
countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks herein are
property of their respective owners.

===== DRAFT =====

Re: DRAFT Press Release

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Looks good to me ... just a few comments:

One typo I noted in the new text ... "... flexibility of Apache Geornimo
which already *provides* two certified ..."

The mention of EJB 3.0 twice in the third paragraph and the subsequent
list seems a little redundant but I guess it doesn't cause any harm.

Joe

Re: DRAFT Press Release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
I tried to keep changes to a minimum. Since Matt used blue fonts,
I've marked changes with a black font...

--kevan

===== DRAFT =====

Apache Geronimo Version 2.0 released by Apache Software Foundation

date/time/location—The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) announced
today the release of Apache Geronimo Version 2.0 (http://
geronimo.apache.org). This release represents the latest open source
Java Enterprise Edition 5.0 application server from the Apache
Geronimo project, and continues the evolution of the Apache Geronimo
server by adding new features and capabilities to a fully compliant
and certified Java Enterprise Edition container suitable for

Re: DRAFT Press Release (incorporated Jarek's suggestions ... Monday at 1500 Eastern is the target time to take this to the PRC)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Looking pretty good. Apologies for late comments -- been off the grid...

I think we should be 1) calling out some of our major components
vital to our JEE5 capabilities (OpenEJB, OpenJPA, Jetty/Tomcat). 2)
Highlighting flexibility -- configurable web container
implementations along with configurable web services.

I'll work on some updates, if that's ok...

--kevan

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Incorporating Jarek's changes.  I'll take this forward as of 1500
Eastern on Monday).

Thanks everyone for their feedback.   Ack this thread if this looks
good so we can get an idea of who likes it.

===== DRAFT =====

Apache Geronimo Version 2.0 released by Apache Software Foundation

date/time/location—The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) announced
today the release of Apache Geronimo Version 2.0 (http://
geronimo.apache.org). This release represents the latest open source
Java Enterprise Edition 5.0 application server from the Apache
Geronimo project, and continues the evolution of the Apache Geronimo
server by adding new features and capabilities to a fully compliant
and certified Java Enterprise Edition container suitable for
everything from a development environment to enterprise-level
deployments.

The newly released Apache Geronimo 2.0 breaks new ground as the first
Open Source Application Server to provide two certified JAX-WS Web
Services implementations: Apache Axis2 and Apache CXF. It also
introduces other new features such as simplified development,

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1...looks good.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

[...]