Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by William Holman <Wi...@co.sherburne.mn.us> on 2004/12/21 21:08:03 UTC

Unsubscribe?

I've been over-ruled by those who pay the bills, so I can't use
SpamAssassin since it's "open source"

How do I unsubscribe from the lists?

Thank-you!

Re: Unsubscribe?

Posted by William Stearns <ws...@pobox.com>.
Good afternoon, William,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, William Holman wrote:

> I've been over-ruled by those who pay the bills, so I can't use
> SpamAssassin since it's "open source"

 	In all sincerity, why not recommend McAfee SpamKiller?  It's
commercial, I'm sure it has paid support available, all the things you'd
want from a commercial product.  Oh, and I think some guy named Justin
something-or-other works there.  ;-)
 	You can decide if you want to mention what software runs it or
not.  In your shoes I'd grin quietly and praise my superiors for making
such an _excellent_ technology choice.

 	For full disclosure, I have no finacial ties to McAfee (although
there's some early discussion that they and the sa-blacklist/surbl project
may help each other in the future).
 	Cheers,
 	- Bill

 	"Eagles may soar, high and proud, but weasels don't get sucked
into jet engines."
(Courtesy of Mike Andrews <ma...@termfrost.org>)

Posted by Angus McIntyre <an...@pobox.com>.
> I've been over-ruled by those who pay the bills, so I can't use
> SpamAssassin since it's "open source"

Effective immediately: employees will not be allowed to drink tap water,
because it's free. Company policy mandates that only Coca-Cola and other
commercially-bottled beverages are permitted. Personal preferences are of
no account in this, as it is a matter of company policy.

I feel fortunate to work for a company where solutions based on
open-source are seen as more desirable than shrinkwrapped commercial
software. We use both, but we won't deploy a commercial product unless
we're sure that no comparable open-source alternative exists. And it's not
just a case of 'making do' with an open-source system because we can't
afford commercial: many open-source solutions are of exceptional quality,
both in terms of performance, reliability and ease-of-use. Overall, I
think we're more satisfied with the open-source solutions we use than the
commercial products.

Open-source is a smart business's secret weapon.

Angus

Re: Unsubscribe?

Posted by Richard Ozer <ro...@ois-online.com>.
Yes... God forbid that you wouldn't have to pay a bill.  Those bill payers
would be out of work.

Be sure to let us all know what company you work for so that we can divest
our stock as soon as possible ;-)

RO

Re: Unsubscribe?

Posted by snowjack <sn...@fastmail.fm>.
Richard Ozer wrote:
> Oh good! Can I buy a service contract too?  Hopefully it's priced per spam!

Jeez, I knew I was forgetting something. :-)

Re: Unsubscribe?

Posted by Richard Ozer <ro...@ois-online.com>.

Posted by snowjack <sn...@fastmail.fm>.
snowjack wrote:
> I have an anti-spam product I, ah, we, ah, my COMPANY, (yeah, that's the
> ticket) call "Snowjack Scanner" which is at least as effective as any
> other... commercial solution. It has a Bayes filter, score averaging by
> sender, whitelisting capabilities, many effective individual rules which
> are weighted by genetic algorithm, and the ability to incorporate
> information from RBL and SURBL lookups. For only $5000, much less than
> many competing commercial solutions, I will send you this amazing
> package as soon as I can gimp a logo and slap it on a CD. I'll even set
> it up to auto-install on a bare-bones PC, with automated security
> updates, and for only $200 per hour I... uh, one of our CONSULTANTS...
> will help you integrate it into your mail systems.
>
> --
> Snowjack Consulting Services Inc. LLC. TBS. OMFG.

<reply to self>
	<alert>For the humor-impaired, that was a joke. OMFG.</alert>
</reply>

Posted by snowjack <sn...@fastmail.fm>.

Posted by Andy Norris <an...@tireswing.net>.
Happens all the time at all levels of gov't. And maybe worse with DOD
stuff. I've worked with small government and DOD contractors. When it comes
to Perl v. $30,000 the $30,000 wins. Or MySQL v. Microsofts SQL Server...
Microsoft wins.

A combination of "not my money", and nobody wanting to put their neck out
to make a decision. Easier to write the million-dollar checks and forget
about it... Very troubling.

Sorry to venture further into the OT... :-) But, as a programmer who
primarily works to integrate top-heavy, kludgy and expensive products...
it's disheartening to say the least.

Andy

Re: Unsubscribe?

Posted by Russ Uhte <ru...@parallax.ws>.
shane mullins wrote:
> I know what you mean Pete,
>
>     I work for a public school system, and it is a major fight whenever
> I introduce an OpenSource solution.  By using OpenSource solutions, I
> have provided better solutions to problems, and saved much money.  But,
> it has not been easy, and there have been few, if any thanks.

I know this is an old thread, and also OT by this point but I had to
interject here... I used to work for the public school system here, and
while I was there, school administration decided that the open source
centralized rather inexpensive but very well done, and very usable
attendance/grades/financial/discipline database should be moved to a
windows based, de-centralized, solution that required a huge ms sql
server for synchronization, and a pretty hefty server in each school,
we're talking 20 some schools...  And it didn't even preform nearly as
well...

In my opinion, this was a step backwards...

Anyway, sorry for the wasted bandwidth!!

-Russ
---

Re: Unsubscribe?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 4:40:56 PM, Peter Benac wrote:
> And that makes it right because?

No, it makes it wrong.  :-(

Jeff C.
__

> From: Jeff Chan [mailto:jeffc@surbl.org]
> On Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 12:32:41 PM, Peter Benac wrote:
>> If I understand you Mail Address correct aren't the Tax Payers the
>> ones paying the bills.  While I don't live in your County or State I
>> would have to wonder why the people you work for NEED to spend the
>> taxpayers money on something they already have for free.

>> Don't they have a better way of spending the money like maybe on
>> Education, Law Enforcement, EMS Services, or Fire Services... Just a
>> thought!!

> Hi Pete,
> Apparently you have not worked in government.  Government budgets are
> determined by politics and how much you spend. The more you can budget and
> spend, the higher your status. If you budget a certain amount and don't
> spend it, you get less money next year.  Government is structured towards
> spending more money, not less.

> Jeff C.

Jeff C.
--