Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> on 2013/05/27 20:04:13 UTC

Dynamic Behavior wrt IOC in services.

(New subject for an interesting point)

Good point, Dennis...

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 13:30, Dennis Reedy wrote:
> On May 27, 2013, at 103PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
>

> Sure, no problem. One big thing to consider wrt container IoC, is that
> the lifecycle of a River service is different then an EJB. With River,
> a service can join and leave the network (advertised and
> unadvertised). Making sure that you consider that has been important
> in my experience. This when tied with how a service deals with other
> services (what I call associations
> http://www.rio-project.org/associations.html), can change the
> lifecycle of a service. So food for thought

I think you're on the right track in Rio, with injecting a dynamic proxy
for associations.  Curiously, this approach is similar to the dynamic
proxies injected under JEE6 CDI for contextual objects.

Truth is, I've always been hesitant about injecting service
dependencies, because it seems to me that resolving the services needs
to be a part of the logic of the service invocation, so that various
failures can be handled appropriately.

Couple of scenarios:

Context - We're talking about a service that depends on one or more
other services.  When you call service A's 'doSomething()' method, it
needs to call methods on services B, C, etc.

Scenario 1- You have a (not very efficient!) policy of looking up every
service dependency every time A.doSomething() is called.  In this case
it might just be reasonable to throw an exception (ServiceNotAvailable
or something similar) and let the client deal with it.  Straight
injection works in that case.  Or you might want to save the data
locally and do some alternate handling.  In that case, perhaps it might
be best to leave the unresolved service references null, so the
A.doSomething() code can handle it.

Scenario 2- You have some service references cached.  When you go to do
A.doSomething(), you find that service B has failed (of course, you find
this out by means of an IOException when calling service B).  What to
do?  In the past, I've handled this by dumping all the caches and
rediscovering the services.  Which means that A.doSomething() has to
take some control of the dependency resolution, which doesn't fit with
dependency injection very well.  In Harvester, I had a resolver object
(I could be wrong, but I think I saw something similar in Rio), so
A.doSomething() would execute the resolution before attempting to use
service dependencies.  Then in case of failure, it could call fail() on
the resolver, which would dump the caches, and attempt resolution again,
then complete the calls.

Another issue I've been pondering is how Jini interacts with dynamic IP
address assignments (i.e. network cards on DHCP).  If the IP address of
a node changes, it's kind of catastrophic, since the IP addresses of any
services it exports are probably baked in to both the serialized
endpoints, and the codebase urls (assuming that we pessimistically
assumed that name-based resolution won't work - arguably the truth in
most networks).  It seems like in that case, the services' states need
to roll back to before the endpoints were exported, then re-export and
re-publish to the registrar.

>From a client point of view, a client would simply see that as a set of
services failing, and then go and rediscover the services.  That's no
problem.  But I wonder how to handle that on the service side.  It's
almost easiest to just shutdown the services and restart.

And what happens if a host has more than one IP address (multi-homed)?
Again, the services codebases will likely have the IP address baked-in.
So a client on one interface needs to use the serialized proxy that
corresponds to the correct interface.  Here's a case where using Maven
artifact ids could help handle the codebase issue.  I suspect the
multiple IP addresses could be handled at the JERI level.

Anyway, lots of things to think about.

Greg.

Re: Dynamic Behavior wrt IOC in services.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

On May 27, 2013, at 204PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> (New subject for an interesting point)
>
> Good point, Dennis...
>
> On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 13:30, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> On May 27, 2013, at 103PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
>>

>> Sure, no problem. One big thing to consider wrt container IoC, is that
>> the lifecycle of a River service is different then an EJB. With River,
>> a service can join and leave the network (advertised and
>> unadvertised). Making sure that you consider that has been important
>> in my experience. This when tied with how a service deals with other
>> services (what I call associations
>> http://www.rio-project.org/associations.html), can change the
>> lifecycle of a service. So food for thought
>>

> I think you're on the right track in Rio, with injecting a dynamic proxy
> for associations.  Curiously, this approach is similar to the dynamic
> proxies injected under JEE6 CDI for contextual objects.

An important distinction perhaps is the service selection strategy that is coupled with the dynamic proxy produced for an associated service declaration. The service selection strategy provides a way to determine how services in the collection of discovered services are invoked. Perhaps a strategy (or chained strategies) could be produced to implement behaviors outlined below.

> Truth is, I've always been hesitant about injecting service
> dependencies, because it seems to me that resolving the services needs
> to be a part of the logic of the service invocation, so that various
> failures can be handled appropriately.
>
> Couple of scenarios:
>
> Context - We're talking about a service that depends on one or more
> other services.  When you call service A's 'doSomething()' method, it
> needs to call methods on services B, C, etc.
>
> Scenario 1- You have a (not very efficient!) policy of looking up every
> service dependency every time A.doSomething() is called.  In this case
> it might just be reasonable to throw an exception (ServiceNotAvailable
> or something similar) and let the client deal with it.  Straight
> injection works in that case.  Or you might want to save the data
> locally and do some alternate handling.  In that case, perhaps it might
> be best to leave the unresolved service references null, so the
> A.doSomething() code can handle it.
>
> Scenario 2- You have some service references cached.  When you go to do
> A.doSomething(), you find that service B has failed (of course, you find
> this out by means of an IOException when calling service B).  What to
> do?  In the past, I've handled this by dumping all the caches and
> rediscovering the services.  Which means that A.doSomething() has to
> take some control of the dependency resolution, which doesn't fit with
> dependency injection very well.  In Harvester, I had a resolver object
> (I could be wrong, but I think I saw something similar in Rio), so
> A.doSomething() would execute the resolution before attempting to use
> service dependencies.  Then in case of failure, it could call fail() on
> the resolver, which would dump the caches, and attempt resolution again,
> then complete the calls.
>
> Another issue I've been pondering is how Jini interacts with dynamic IP
> address assignments (i.e. network cards on DHCP).  If the IP address of
> a node changes, it's kind of catastrophic, since the IP addresses of any
> services it exports are probably baked in to both the serialized
> endpoints,

Yes, this could be an issue, but I wonder how probable this is? I had always thought it would be nice to make the network 'observable' so that if the interface changed you could unadvertise, unexport, export then advertise.

> and the codebase urls (assuming that we pessimistically
> assumed that name-based resolution won't work - arguably the truth in
> most networks).  It seems like in that case, the services' states need
> to roll back to before the endpoints were exported, then re-export and
> re-publish to the registrar.
>
>> From a client point of view, a client would simply see that as a set of
> services failing, and then go and rediscover the services.  That's no
> problem.  But I wonder how to handle that on the service side.  It's
> almost easiest to just shutdown the services and restart.

Yep.

> And what happens if a host has more than one IP address (multi-homed)?

Yeah, multi-homed machines are always fun:) I generally key off the java.rmi.server.hostname system property to use when creating exporters (or other utilities tied to the network).  If not found, I get the first non-loopback address.

> Again, the services codebases will likely have the IP address baked-in.
> So a client on one interface needs to use the serialized proxy that
> corresponds to the correct interface.  Here's a case where using Maven
> artifact ids could help handle the codebase issue.

Indeed it would. You get rid of the lost codebase issue, and also add in performance gains by loading classes locally instead of loading over http (and you load them every time). This is a fundamental problem with the way we have traditionally set up RMI based systems. We can still have the dynamic classloading, but I never create a ClassLoader that loads classes remotely any more. Thats just crazy :)

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@gmail.com>.
On May 27, 2013, at 6:45 PM, Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> See inline.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.

The single, vital issue, is that we are not talking about only "visibility".  We are also talking about weakly synchronized access.  Non-volatile values which are not protected with synchronized access, can result in "optimizations" reordering operations of the VM in such a way as to expose uninitialized data into threads created to do the work of "join".  Many operating systems will switch to the newly created thread.  It can then see something completely unexpected in the state of the object as it performs marshaling for export etc.

Gregg Wonderly

Re: Dynamic Behavior wrt IOC in services.

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
> > For example the last test failure on arm was caused by it. I couldn't
> > reproduce it on other architectures, but arm had a high frequency of
> > failure.
>
> Could this be related to ARM's relaxed memory model which reorders some
> memory accesses?
>
> Patricia

That's a probable explanation.  Perhaps we should be testing on Power and Itanium too, these architectures also have relaxed memory models and are inexpensive on ebay.

Re: Dynamic Behavior wrt IOC in services.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
See inline.

Cheers,

Peter.
> On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 16:08, Peter wrote:
> > Now's a great time to standardise a common subset we can all use, this
> > is a good conversation.
> >
> > We're all solving similar issues, we could have something really great
> > if we can work together.
> >
> > I created com.sun.jini.start.Starter out of necessity to fix unsafe
> > publication, however this could take another form.
> >
> Although I've never liked the "export and publish in the costructor"
> model, I really think the likelihood of having another thread hit the
> exported object before the constructor is finished is pretty slim.

Don't let 'this' escape during construction.

It's Russian roulette, it's caused test failures for me that have taken me weeks to solve and only then by hand auditing code, I wouldn't want a critical failure to occur in production caused by this escaping during construction, because of the low frequency of failure it's really a very nasty bug.

So if you have code that exports during construction, fix it now, before it manifests in production.

For example the last test failure on arm was caused by it. I couldn't reproduce it on other architectures, but arm had a high frequency of failure.

Exporting during construction can break synchronization, don't ask my why, it just did that's all.  Besides Josh Bloch and Doug Lee tell us not to allow this to escape during construction. Who am I to argue with them?

Older jvm's are kinder, but now concurrency and scalability is the priority, these bugs are more likely to occur.

Sim put it succinctly recently, it's akin to when garbage collection became more agressive and objects were collected early breaking existing code.  The same thing is occurring now with concurrency.

Heed the warning, don't let me say "told you so" in a year or two.

There's a real urgency to get it fixed asap.  The fix is simple; export after construction.

> the real use case, the proxy would have to go through a number of
> network calls first before it was accessed by another thread.  Things
> might be different in the test environment, but that can be addressed in
> the test.    As I understand it, you could just synchronize on the proxy,
> and release it before you access it in a subsequent test.
>
> > I've fixed the dynamic IP adressing issue in qa-refactor, see inline
> > further below.
> >

> I think we might be talking about different things here.  I'm wondering
> how a running container can deal with a network interface having its IP
> address changed, as when its DHCP lease expires, or when a laptop
> attaches to a different network.

Oh ok, so the codebase issue is only part of the problem, right, detect the change and re-export.

> > Also, it might be worth investigating
> > org.apache.river.api.io.Distributed, this allows a non Serializable
> > object to be stored in MarshalledInstance and created on demand, using
> > any constructor, static factory method or builder object.  This object
> > is created in an unpriviliged context, otherwise an attacker could
> > create a Classloader etc.
> >
> > It's so simple, yet so powerful, it's scary.
> >
> I don't quite understand the use case for this.  In the context of a
> client that wants to look up a service in a registrar and then begin to
> use it, without knowing anything about the implementation class, how
> does "org.apache.river.api.io.Distributed" fit into things?

It's orthogonal to the client, to the client it's just another object, however it can be truely immutable with all invarients checked and all fields final so it can be shared without synchronization.

Another case is refactoring code, the developer decides to substitute it with a different class, this would cause an Exception with serialization, the developer can substitute it with another object if it's constructed with a builder.  Distributed objects in marshalled form only contain instructions and parameters for creating an object using reflection during unmarshalling; using a constructor, a static factory method or a builder object.  There is no serial form and the developer is free to change those instructions.

Distributed is akin to distributed injection, the client is not aware of how the object is constructed so it's implementation can remain invisible to the client.  This allows a compact public api to use many different implementations, while the client sees only one type.  It's free from serial form, unfortunately it can't be used as an Entry.

It makes sense to use it to address persistence and concurrency concerns, or as parameters or return values for service methods.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Further discussion below...

Cheers,

Greg.

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 16:08, Peter wrote:
> Now's a great time to standardise a common subset we can all use, this
> is a good conversation.
>
> We're all solving similar issues, we could have something really great
> if we can work together.
>
> I created com.sun.jini.start.Starter out of necessity to fix unsafe
> publication, however this could take another form.

Although I've never liked the "export and publish in the costructor"
model, I really think the likelihood of having another thread hit the
exported object before the constructor is finished is pretty slim.  In

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.