Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Kreitzer <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/07 21:35:58 UTC

IncompatibleClassChangeError

I'm on NT using tomcat 4.  I want to have a separate
Java class to handle initial processing on the
HttpServletRequest object, then let my serlvets
continue processing.

When I call a function of a class that is in a
separate directory that attempts to call
request.getParameter("stuff"), I get an
IncompatibleClassChangeError error and it crashes.

But if I put the request.getParameter("stuff") in my
servlet it works fine.  Also, if I move my separate
java class into the same directory as my servlet, it
works fine.  I really don't want to do this though
from a design standpoint, I want to keep these in
separate places.  Has anyone seen this before?  Does
anyone have a solution to this or any educated guesses
I could try?

Here is my Test.java serlvet located in
<root>\questo\web-inf\classes:

public class Test extends HttpServlet {

                      HttpServletResponse response)
        throws IOException, ServletException
    {
        response.setContentType("text/html");
        PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();

String str = request.getParameter("stuff");
Req r = new Req();
out.println(r.stop(request));  //FAILS HERE see below
     }
}

Here is my Req.java class located in
<root>\questo\helpers:

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;

public class Req
{
    public boolean stop(HttpServletRequest i)
    {
        String s = i.getParameter("stuff");  //FAILS
HERE
        return true;
    }
}

thanks,

=====
Brian Kreitzer

Owner
Kreitzer Kreations

Is this possible?

Posted by Brian Kreitzer <kr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Brian Kreitzer <kr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Brian Kreitzer <kr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm on NT using tomcat 4.  I want to have a
> separate
> > Java class to handle initial processing on the
> > HttpServletRequest object, then let my serlvets
> > continue processing.
> >
> > When I call a function of a class that is in a
> > separate directory that attempts to call
> > request.getParameter("stuff"), I get an
> > IncompatibleClassChangeError error and it crashes.
>

> > But if I put the request.getParameter("stuff") in
> my
> > servlet it works fine.  Also, if I move my
> separate
> > java class into the same directory as my servlet,
> it
> > works fine.  I really don't want to do this though
> > from a design standpoint, I want to keep these in
> > separate places.  Has anyone seen this before?
> Does
> > anyone have a solution to this or any educated
> > guesses
> > I could try?
> >
> > Here is my Test.java serlvet located in
> > <root>\questo\web-inf\classes:
> >
> > public class Test extends HttpServlet {
> >

> >     public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
> >                       HttpServletResponse
> response)
> >         throws IOException, ServletException
> >     {
> >         response.setContentType("text/html");
> >         PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
> >
> > String str = request.getParameter("stuff");
> > Req r = new Req();
> > out.println(r.stop(request));  //FAILS HERE see
> > below
> >      }
> > }
> >

> > Here is my Req.java class located in
> > <root>\questo\helpers:
> >
> > import javax.servlet.*;
> > import javax.servlet.http.*;
> > import java.io.*;
> >
> > public class Req
> > {
> >     public boolean stop(HttpServletRequest i)
> >     {
> >         String s = i.getParameter("stuff");
> //FAILS
> > HERE
> >         return true;
> >     }
> > }
> >

> > thanks,
> >

> > =====
> > Brian Kreitzer
> >
> > Owner
> > Kreitzer Kreations

> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands:
> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Troubles with the list:
> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >

> =====
> Brian Kreitzer
>
> Owner
> Kreitzer Kreations

> For additional commands:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Troubles with the list:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

=====
Brian Kreitzer

Owner
Kreitzer Kreations

Resending: IncompatibleClassChangeError

Posted by Brian Kreitzer <kr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Brian Kreitzer <kr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm on NT using tomcat 4.  I want to have a separate
> Java class to handle initial processing on the
> HttpServletRequest object, then let my serlvets
> continue processing.
>
> When I call a function of a class that is in a
> separate directory that attempts to call
> request.getParameter("stuff"), I get an
> IncompatibleClassChangeError error and it crashes.
>
> But if I put the request.getParameter("stuff") in my
> servlet it works fine.  Also, if I move my separate
> java class into the same directory as my servlet, it
> works fine.  I really don't want to do this though
> from a design standpoint, I want to keep these in
> separate places.  Has anyone seen this before?  Does
> anyone have a solution to this or any educated
> guesses
> I could try?
>
> Here is my Test.java serlvet located in
> <root>\questo\web-inf\classes:
>
> public class Test extends HttpServlet {
>

>     public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
>                       HttpServletResponse response)
>         throws IOException, ServletException
>     {
>         response.setContentType("text/html");
>         PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
>
> String str = request.getParameter("stuff");
> Req r = new Req();
> out.println(r.stop(request));  //FAILS HERE see
> below
>      }
> }
>

> Here is my Req.java class located in
> <root>\questo\helpers:
>
> import javax.servlet.*;
> import javax.servlet.http.*;
> import java.io.*;
>
> public class Req
> {
>     public boolean stop(HttpServletRequest i)
>     {
>         String s = i.getParameter("stuff");  //FAILS
> HERE
>         return true;
>     }
> }