Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/12/22 11:53:49 UTC

Re: [OT][logging] politics [WAS Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?]

At 11:56 PM 12/21/2004, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>FWIW AFAIK the committers who feel victimized are outside jakarta. IMHO
>committers who are vocally critical of the ASF (as an organization) are
>something about which the membership should be concerned. some of them
>simply have an obvious axe to grind but for others, a few humble and kind
>words were all would have been required. certainly, threats by members to
>communities (especially without adequate ASF representation) at a time
>such as this seems to play a little too much into their hands. i hope and
>trust that this wasn't the intent of your previous post.

JCL shows indications of mission creep. I believe this to be a factual
observation independent of ASF representation.

>(conversely, if you do think that JCL is out of scope for the commons or
>is at danger of becoming so - and that it's a big enough issue to consider
>things such as appealing to the members, then please tell me and i'd be
>glad to nominate you - and any other logging services pmc members who are
>interested - as committers for the commons and give you a free hand to
>sort out the problem as you best see fit. at least that way, myself and
>the rest of the JCL community will have a voice and some sort of vote.
>that would seem to me to be much more in the old apache spirit, at least
>as far as i can remember it...)

Thank you for this offer. We need to consider it carefully and check
whether we can participate in a meaningful manner. I am forwarding it
to the LS PMC.

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: [OT][logging] politics [WAS Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?]

Posted by Richard Sitze <rs...@us.ibm.com>.
Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> wrote on 12/22/2004 04:53:49 AM:

<snip/>

> JCL shows indications of mission creep. I believe this to be a factual
> observation independent of ASF representation.

Just to help clarify your concern, would you please define "mission
creep".

> >(conversely, if you do think that JCL is out of scope for the commons
or
> >is at danger of becoming so - and that it's a big enough issue to
consider
> >things such as appealing to the members, then please tell me and i'd be

> >glad to nominate you - and any other logging services pmc members who
are
> >interested - as committers for the commons and give you a free hand to
> >sort out the problem as you best see fit. at least that way, myself and

> >the rest of the JCL community will have a voice and some sort of vote.
> >that would seem to me to be much more in the old apache spirit, at
least
> >as far as i can remember it...)
>
> Thank you for this offer. We need to consider it carefully and check
> whether we can participate in a meaningful manner. I am forwarding it
> to the LS PMC.

Interesting indeed, not a bad idea.  IMHO, any LS PMC member granted
committer status on JCL needs a firm & rational grasp on the distinctly
different goals between JCL and Log4J.  Ceki, I believe, understands this
distinction well.  I trust anyone else nominated for this role would
understand and respect these differences as well.