Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> on 2013/04/16 18:59:44 UTC

Default user permissions on i.a.o/bh issue tracker.

There seems to be some concern around our current policy of not allowing
anonymous users to report issues, and especially not allowing registered
users to report/edit/comment on tickets by default.

We've had several people speak out in favour of changing this, arguing it
would be for the best of the community.

As a first step I propose that we give all registered users the
editor_group permissions:
TICKET_CREATE
TICKET_EDIT_DESCRIPTION
TICKET_MODIFY (which implies commenting permissions)
WIKI_CREATE
WIKI_MODIFY

This would be done immediately and before implementing
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SpamFilter or similar unless someone
volunteers to do so soon.

Any objections?

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joe Dreimann | *User Experience Designer* | WANdisco<http://www.wandisco.com/>

@jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>
*
*
*Join one of our free daily demo sessions on* *Scaling Subversion for the
Enterprise <http://www.wandisco.com/training/webinars>*

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and
destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any
distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains
by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and
opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not
reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is authorized
by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.  All email
sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by
WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being
passed.

Re: Default user permissions on i.a.o/bh issue tracker.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 16.04.2013 21:16, Joe Dreimann wrote:
> On 16 Apr 2013, at 19:53, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

>>> Well, it would be useful to allow for comments so that you can ask
>>> someone a question about the ticket they raised or get back
>>> confirmation that it worked for them if they wanted to.
>>>
>>> Apart from that, it is a very good question whether that is as odious
>>> a process as having to do a capcha. The trick maybe to convince them
>>> to still submit the ticket they just wrote out when they have to then
>>> go through another few steps to complete.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would be possible to have a system to moderate tickets
>>> and comments prior to raising for anonymous users?
>> The point of not allowing comments from anonymous users is that it's
>> kind of hard to figure out who the author is. The same holds for ticket
>> submissions; but, if an anonymous submission is accompanied by an e-mail
>> address, then at least you have /some/ ID that you can cross-reference
>> from. And since submitting a ticket already requires filling in a
>> (small) number of fields, adding an e-mail field wouldn't hurt as much
>> as for comments.
>>
>> -- Brane
>>
> trac.edgewall.org simply shows a section for Author both when commenting and when creating tickets, asking for the author's email address:
>
> New ticket: http://trac.edgewall.org/newticket?type=defect
> Comment: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/65
>
> Design wise I see no issues with us doing the same.

Nice. I expect they maintain some sort of identity tracking across
requests using cookies? Ah, I see a trac_session cookie, so I guess
that's the one we'd use, too.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: Default user permissions on i.a.o/bh issue tracker.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
Based on this discussion I have now re-introduced the "authenticated" user
group and given it the following permissions:  TICKET_CREATE,
TICKET_EDIT_DESCRIPTION, TICKET_MODIFY, WIKI_MODIFY

I have also tested it successfully. Every registered user can now create,
edit and comment on tickets, and also modify wiki pages once he/she is
verified.

I did come across what I would consider an error though: Registered users
that haven't yet validated their email address get shown the quick ticket
dialogue, which does not complain about their permissions. However once the
ticket is submitted it returns an "Internal server error", instead of the
usual confirmation that the ticket has been raised.

In my opinion we should either show a clear message up front along the
lines of: "You need to validate your email address before you can create
tickets. [resend validation email]" or queue up created tickets to only be
inserted once the email address has been validated.

I think we should also move the registration link out of the Apps dropdown
(renamed 'More' in my next commit) and into the metanav:
[Login] / [Register]    [Preferences]    [Help/Guide]

Cheers,
Joe

Posted by Alexander Heusingfeld <ah...@goldstift.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Re: Default user permissions on i.a.o/bh issue tracker.

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 16 Apr 2013, at 19:53, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 16.04.2013 20:34, Gary Martin wrote:

>>> None at all.
>>>
>>> Regarding registration ... note that issues.apache.org/jira requires it
>>> in order to create or modify tickets. But it's only an e-mail
>>> verification thing.
>>>
>>> Maybe we somehow combine ticket creation and registration (at least
>>> e-mail address submission) into one step? Something along these lines:
>>> the ticket-create dropdown and form would be available to anonymous
>>> users, but before submitting the ticket, we'd ask them to either log in,
>>> or provide an e-mail address -- thus implicitly registering, and we'd
>>> follow that up with e-mail verification.
>>>
>>> I would not allow comments or other ticket modifications from anonymous
>>> users.
>>>
>>> -- Brane
>>
>> Well, it would be useful to allow for comments so that you can ask
>> someone a question about the ticket they raised or get back
>> confirmation that it worked for them if they wanted to.
>>
>> Apart from that, it is a very good question whether that is as odious
>> a process as having to do a capcha. The trick maybe to convince them
>> to still submit the ticket they just wrote out when they have to then
>> go through another few steps to complete.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to have a system to moderate tickets
>> and comments prior to raising for anonymous users?
>
> The point of not allowing comments from anonymous users is that it's
> kind of hard to figure out who the author is. The same holds for ticket
> submissions; but, if an anonymous submission is accompanied by an e-mail
> address, then at least you have /some/ ID that you can cross-reference
> from. And since submitting a ticket already requires filling in a
> (small) number of fields, adding an e-mail field wouldn't hurt as much
> as for comments.
>
> -- Brane

trac.edgewall.org simply shows a section for Author both when commenting and when creating tickets, asking for the author's email address:

New ticket: http://trac.edgewall.org/newticket?type=defect
Comment: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/65

Design wise I see no issues with us doing the same.

- Joe

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 16/04/13 19:19, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 16.04.2013 18:59, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>> There seems to be some concern around our current policy of not allowing
>> anonymous users to report issues, and especially not allowing registered
>> users to report/edit/comment on tickets by default.
>>
>> We've had several people speak out in favour of changing this, arguing it
>> would be for the best of the community.
>>
>> As a first step I propose that we give all registered users the
>> editor_group permissions:
>> TICKET_CREATE
>> TICKET_EDIT_DESCRIPTION
>> TICKET_MODIFY (which implies commenting permissions)
>> WIKI_CREATE
>> WIKI_MODIFY
>>
>> This would be done immediately and before implementing
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SpamFilter or similar unless someone
>> volunteers to do so soon.
>>
>> Any objections?
> None at all.
>
> Regarding registration ... note that issues.apache.org/jira requires it
> in order to create or modify tickets. But it's only an e-mail
> verification thing.
>
> Maybe we somehow combine ticket creation and registration (at least
> e-mail address submission) into one step? Something along these lines:
> the ticket-create dropdown and form would be available to anonymous
> users, but before submitting the ticket, we'd ask them to either log in,
> or provide an e-mail address -- thus implicitly registering, and we'd
> follow that up with e-mail verification.
>
> I would not allow comments or other ticket modifications from anonymous
> users.
>
> -- Brane

Well, it would be useful to allow for comments so that you can ask
someone a question about the ticket they raised or get back confirmation
that it worked for them if they wanted to.

Apart from that, it is a very good question whether that is as odious a
process as having to do a capcha. The trick maybe to convince them to
still submit the ticket they just wrote out when they have to then go
through another few steps to complete.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a system to moderate tickets
and comments prior to raising for anonymous users?

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Default user permissions on i.a.o/bh issue tracker.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.