Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yizchak Naveh-Benjamin <cs...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> on 2001/07/03 03:09:03 UTC

Newbie stumped by NoClassDefFoundError

I'm trying to install Tomcat 3.2.2 under Win98, but keep getting a
NoClassDefFoundError.  I've looked through the archives and tried some of
the different solutions that have been proposed to this problem, but
nothing seems to work.

Here are my environment variables:

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\JDK1.3.0_02\BIN
set TOMCAT_HOME=C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2
set JAVA_HOME=C:\JDK1.3.0_02
set CLASSPATH=C:\JDK1.3.0_02
set CLASSPATH=C:\JDK1.3.0_02\lib\tools
set CLASSPATH=C:\JDK1.3.0_02\bin
set CLASSPATH=C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\classes
set CLASSPATH=C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib
set CLASSPATH=C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib\tools.jar

* And here's what I get when I try to run "startup":

C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\bin>startup
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Unable to set CLASSPATH dynamically.
Note: To set the CLASSPATH dynamically on Win9x systems
      only DOS 8.3 names may be used in TOMCAT_HOME!
Setting your CLASSPATH statically.
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space

Using CLASSPATH:

Starting Tomcat in new window

* After this, a new window pops up and I get an exception in thread "main"
= NoClassDefFoundError.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you
ynb

Re: Newbie stumped by NoClassDefFoundError

Posted by Internet Total Solutions LLC - Customer Liaisons Department - <to...@loxinfo.co.th>.
Hello,

the command on windows 98 for the settings in the config.sys is
shell=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /p /e:4096 (4 MB is usually enough to start tomcat.
I having it on 32 MB and it works fine)

Bye

Tobias

Posted by Wyn Easton <wy...@yahoo.com>.