Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Samanu, Suja" <Su...@bankofamerica.com> on 2002/06/20 17:34:27 UTC

Isssues with log4j.

Dear TroubleShooters of log4j,
  we have an issue going on at our site.

The site has had the same issue for the life of the product with one of
our logs not properly rolling over at midnight each night .
The log file "bvlog.java.out" is supposed to
be copied to a file name with the date appended to the end and a new
bvlog.java.out started.  However, what we are experiencing is that the file
bvlog.java.out.@date is still being written into the next day as well as the
bvlog.java.out.  It appears that there are file handles that are still
active preventing the renamed file from being released.

The impact is that it prevents the  team from successfully tracking
issues within this log.  The causes grief when the team states that
they must have this log to chase down an issue and we have to provide two
versions of it.

Our config file would write to bvlog.java.out for the current day.  Then, at
midnight the contents of this file would be moved into
bvlog.java.out.@date.  However, it has been explained that since we
have active sessions and users going at midnight, some of the "file handles"
are not released due to these updates from the active sessions.  Thus, the
active "file handles" follow the connection from bvlog.java.out to the file
it is copied into "bvlog.java.out.@date".  And therefore, the file with
the yesterdays date on it is still being updated the next day even though it
is not
suppose to be.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance and resolution.