Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Da...@telia.se on 2002/09/26 09:57:03 UTC

[users@httpd] simple question

I have installed apache on my mandrake system and I can access the deafult homepage on it. My question is:
How do I make it so that users on the system can put up their own hompages ? I tried making a softlink in /var/www/html pointing to a users home directory, lets call him john, like this: "ln -s /home/john/www john" and then of course made a dir in /home/john called www, but it won´t work.
I have looked through several "getting started" guides but I haven´t found anything about this.

RE: [users@httpd] simple question

Posted by Dave Stahr <da...@prairiesys.com>.
> How do I make it so that
> > users on the system can put up their own hompages ? I tried making a

Also make sure that your directory permissions for the users are such
that the web server user can "get to" the files in your user
directories.  I'm not familiar with default Mandrake settings, but I
know RedHat's default file permissions on user home directories is
"drwx------", which doesn't allow apache to read the files.

Re: [users@httpd] simple question

Posted by Kris Verbeeck <Kr...@ubizen.com>.
Check out:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_userdir.html#userdir

Markus Boehmer wrote:

ir. Kris Verbeeck
Development Engineer

Ubizen - Ubicenter - Philipssite 5 - 3001 Leuven - Belgium
T:  +32 16 28 70 64
F:  +32 16 28 70 77

Ubizen - We Secure e-business - www.ubizen.com

Re: [users@httpd] simple question