Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Normen Ruhrus <N....@Alphasoft-GmbH.de> on 2003/03/10 20:16:09 UTC

Printing on different Printers

Hi there,

i wrote a servlet that supports pdf streaming to a browser (works fine)
and printing (server side) using the awtrenderer.
Problem here is, when i print it on different printers the look and size
changes. On one printer it looks just fine while
on the other one some parts are cut off?

Is there an explanation / workaround ???

Hope someone can help me out...

Thanks in advance

Normen Ruhrus

Re: Printing on different Printers

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Normen Ruhrus wrote:
> Hi there,   i wrote a servlet that supports pdf streaming to a browser
> (works fine) and printing (server side) using the awtrenderer. Problem
> here is, when i print it on different printers the look and size
> changes. On one printer it looks just fine while on the other one some
> parts are cut off?   Is there an explanation / workaround ???   Hope
> someone can help me out...   Thanks in advance     Normen Ruhrus

In our testing, we've found that the version of Java being used may
affect the output. In particular, there was a bug in pre-1.4.x Sun java
that had FontMetrics issues. IBM 1.30 java appears to be unaffected by
this bug. As a result, we've indicated to our clients that our FOP
implementation requires Sun Java 1.4.1+ or IBM Java 1.30+.

If you're having problems, see if you can install one of these JAVA
upgrades, and then do more testing. If you find it works, that may be
the culprit.

HTH!

p.s. This might (?) be more appropriate on the fop-user list (which I
believe most if not all fop-devers read avidly... ;-)
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com