Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/07/10 04:41:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] The CloudStack Brand

Hi folks:

So one of the things that PMCs are charged with is maintaining the
brand of a project[1][2], and while it's a responsibility of the PMC,
I brought the discussion here to enable some broader conversations and
to solicit input from folks in general.

This discussion is not about the mascot - but rather the name and
logo. (or in trademark terms, the wordmark, logo, logotype)

As a project we are provided tremendous flexibility in establishing
our brand - you'll even note some projects have completely changed
their name (Cordova nee CallBack, nee Phonegap). In this email I am
not going to share my opinion (I'll follow up with that in a bit), but
rather want to call for participation on this topic. Please weigh in.

--David

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#brand-policy
[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility

Re: [DISCUSS] The CloudStack Brand

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jul 9, 2012, at 11:15 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> #Stance
> My personal stance is that the name should be 'Apache CloudStack' .

Mine as well... I see no reason to change and many reasons
for it to remain CloudStack.

Other podlings were required to rename, simply because they didn't
have the rights to use the old names... This isn't the case here.

Re: [DISCUSS] The CloudStack Brand

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:15 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> > Hi folks:
> >
> > So one of the things that PMCs are charged with is maintaining the
> > brand of a project[1][2], and while it's a responsibility of the PMC,
> > I brought the discussion here to enable some broader conversations and
> > to solicit input from folks in general.
> >
> > This discussion is not about the mascot - but rather the name and
> > logo. (or in trademark terms, the wordmark, logo, logotype)
> >
> > As a project we are provided tremendous flexibility in establishing
> > our brand - you'll even note some projects have completely changed
> > their name (Cordova nee CallBack, nee Phonegap). In this email I am
> > not going to share my opinion (I'll follow up with that in a bit), but
> > rather want to call for participation on this topic. Please weigh in.
> >
> > --David
> >
> > [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#brand-policy
> > [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility
>

> Hi folks,
>
> I am back, this time with my opinion. I am breaking this up into two
> sections:
> 1. my stance
> 2. my reasoning
>
> Branding is an interesting thing to me, and I am biased wrt to this
> project, as I think I had a small part in promoting the existing
> CloudStack brand.
>
> #Stance
> My personal stance is that the name should be 'Apache CloudStack' .

I am in complete agreement, especially since the mark has already been
taken by Citrix and most likely is clear and free for Apache after the
handoff.

Also there's no reason to abandon all the investment to date on this mark.
You summarize all these very well in the justification section below.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

RE: [DISCUSS] The CloudStack Brand

Posted by Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>.
I don't see an upside to a change.  And there's clear downside from loss of what has been built.   So I view any move from "Apache CloudStack" as a counter-productive distraction.

-kevin

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.