Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "Md. Rezaul Karim" <re...@insight-centre.org> on 2018/03/09 10:23:41 UTC

Writing a DataFrame is taking too long and huge space

Dear All,

I have a tiny CSV file, which is around 250MB. There are only 30 columns in
the DataFrame. Now I'm trying to save the pre-processed DataFrame as an
another CSV file on disk for later usage.

However, I'm getting pissed off as writing the resultant DataFrame is
taking too long, which is about 4 to 5 hours. Nevertheless, the size of the
file written on the disk is about 58GB!

Here's the sample code that I tried:

# Using repartition()
myDF.repartition(1).write.format("com.databricks.spark.csv").save("data/file.csv")

# Using coalesce()
myDF.
coalesce(1).write.format("com.databricks.spark.csv").save("data/file.csv")

Any better suggestion?

----
Md. Rezaul Karim, BSc, MSc
Research Scientist, Fraunhofer FIT, Germany

Ph.D. Researcher, Information Systems, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

eMail: rezaul.karim@fit.fraunhofer.de <an...@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Tel: +49 241 80-21527

Re: Writing a DataFrame is taking too long and huge space

Posted by "Md. Rezaul Karim" <re...@insight-centre.org>.
Hi All,

Thanks for prompt response. Really appreciated! Here's a few more info:

1. Spark version: 2.3.0
2. vCore: 8
3. RAM: 32GB
4. Deploy mode: Spark standalone

*Operation performed:* I did transformations using StringIndexer on some
columns and null imputations. That's all.

*Why writing back into CSV:* I need to write the dataframe into CSV to be
used by a non-Spark application. Nevertheless, I need to perform
pre-processing on a larger-dataset (about 2GB) and this one is just a
simple. So writing into parquet or ORC is not a viable option for me.

I was trying to use Spark for only pre-processing. By the way, I tried
using Spark builtin CSV library too.

Best,

----

Posted by Teemu Heikkilä <te...@emblica.fi>.

Posted by Gourav Dutta <gd...@gmail.com>.
Which version of spark are you using?

The reason for asking this question is from Spark 2.x csv is internal
library so no need to save it with com.databricks.spark.csv package.

Moreover, taking time for this simple task is very much dependent upon your
cluster health. Could you please provide the details of the following
things (if you are using YARN)?

1. Number of nodes
2. VCores
3. Node Memory

an

Thanks,
Gourav Dutta

On Mar 9, 2018 5:35 PM, "Matteo Durighetto" <m....@miriade.it> wrote:

Hello, try to use parquet format with compression ( like snappy or lz4 ) so
the produced files will be smaller and it will generate less i/o. Moreover
normally parquet is more faster than csv format in reading for further
operations .
Another possible format is ORC file.

Kind Regards

Matteo

Posted by Matteo Durighetto <m....@miriade.it>.

Posted by Vadim Semenov <va...@datadoghq.com>.
But overall, I think the original approach is not correct.
If you get a single file in 10s GB, the approach is probably must be
reworked.

I don't see why you can't just write multiple CSV files using Spark, and
then concatenate them without Spark

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Writing a DataFrame is taking too long and huge space

Posted by Vadim Semenov <va...@datadoghq.com>.

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Writing a DataFrame is taking too long and huge space

Posted by Deepak Sharma <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Silvio Fiorito <si...@granturing.com>.
Given you start with ~250MB but end up with 58GB seems like you’re generating quite a bit of data.

Whether you use coalesce or repartition, still writing out 58GB with one core is going to take a while.

Using Spark to do pre-processing but output a single file is not going to be very efficient since you’re asking Spark to limit its parallelization even if just the final stage to write data out.

What are you using downstream to read this file and why does it need to be a single 58GB file? Could you simply keep it in Spark to keep the pipeline optimized and avoid the data persistence step? For example, if you’re using R or Python to do some downstream processing you could just make that part of your pipeline vs writing it out and then reading it back in from another system.

From: Vadim Semenov <va...@datadoghq.com>
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018 at 9:42 AM
To: "Md. Rezaul Karim" <re...@insight-centre.org>
Cc: spark users <us...@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Writing a DataFrame is taking too long and huge space

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 5:23 AM, Md. Rezaul Karim <re...@insight-centre.org>> wrote:
[...]

Tel: +49 241 80-21527<tel:+49%20241%208021527>

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Writing a DataFrame is taking too long and huge space

Posted by Vadim Semenov <va...@datadoghq.com>.